Chelsea

We prefer to limit that kind of novelty to Soccer AM and Soccer Aid

English fans understand the sport and the importance of the whole pyramid in this country and the grassroots significance of the smallest clubs in the country. International fans have no stake in that.

English fans are bunch of drunk dumbasses.
Their opinion smells ass

Thatā€™s not quite true as a vast majority at top clubs couldnā€™t give a fuck tbh.
I mean we even class teams in the PL as nothing clubs at times.

English people gave us love Island. Fuck their opinion

4 Likes

But, nonetheless although the financial margins by which smaller clubs exist are tight, pretty much all smaller professional and even semi-professional clubs are fairly stable, which shows the level of support there is for their existence. A lot of peoples first experience of live football comes from clubs like that.

1 Like

Yeah thats fair but like a lot of other things we turn a blind eye to how we have helped the demise of a lot of them.
Academy players have been taken away from smaller clubs development now for instance. Think a lot of us have interest for those clubs but deep down weā€™re compromised by our clubs being part of the monster that squeeze the life out of them clubs.

Do you watch the NBA/NHL/MLB all star games??
Do you like it?

Personally I donā€™t know what fun it is to watch a no defense, play-for-highlight half court shot/glamourous dunks all game long. Even worse than a pre-season game which some players are still serious and try to land a spot of the team.

Clubs are already complaining too many games, schedule is too tightā€¦ do you think the players will really treat this as a real game, or the club will find excuses to stop the player attending?

1 Like

Iā€™ll watch the dunk contest, the three point contest and some of the skills stuff. The home run derby was fun in the 90s when all the baseball players were on steroids. Theyā€™ve made it even more fun (imo) by adding a timer to keep the rounds moving quicker. Vlad Guerrero Jr. hit 30 in one round which is just silly.

I guess it depends what you want from something like that. If youā€™re looking for high level competition, itā€™s a waste of time. You might think watching glamorous dunks is boring but I thought this was pretty fun to watch. Itā€™s supposed to be a spectacle. Itā€™s a celebration of the sport. But that kind of lighthearted celebration and entertainment may be anathema to some people.

To be clear, I think Todd Boehly is trying to grift here, heā€™s not actually serious about helping the pyramid at all. But at the same time, Iā€™d sure as shit watch some stupid skills contest with some PL players involved.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I have very little interest in watching an all star game itself but a free kick contest or some silly thing where Mason Mount and Harry Kane are both trying to juggle footballs for as long as they can while Erling Haaland and Gabriel Martinelli are trying to blast footballs at them from 30 yards away to get them to fuck up? Yup, Iā€™d totally watch that.

Yeah I think thatā€™s why the skills stuff is so interesting. Especially in the NBA or NHL.

We can sit at home and say ā€œah, should have put it top cornerā€ or ā€œah, should have gone through the keeperā€ wellā€¦letā€™s see it. I wanna see TAA try to curl a shot in from like 80 yards at a weird angle because heā€™s got skills that a normal person doesnā€™t have.

I wanna see who can hit a free kick the hardest or fastest. I wanna know which keeper can boot the ball the furthest. Why do I wanna know these things? IDK. Soccer AM showed teams doing the crossbar challenge all the time and it was great because it was one of the few times the players seemed like regular human beings but also were able to display skills that regular people donā€™t have.

1 Like

Anyone thatā€™s followed other sports with these type of games knows itā€™s too simplistic to look and say ā€œ north would win quite easily ā€œ

Basically how the teams look on paper matter little, it all comes down to what team takes it slightly more seriously in these types of events.

1 Like

I canā€™t believe anyoneā€™s taking this idea even the slightest bit seriously.

Take it from an American and a sports fanā€”American sports are all about empty marketing and consumerism. This Boehly puke and his ilk want to make it so fans support players but not clubs so much. They want you to walk around with apparel showing every badge of every team in the league.

Imagine walking around wearing a tottenham badgeā€¦

The beauty in football is that itā€™s tribal. Itā€™s a place where social and political divides are settled (momentarily) through sporting competition.

The tribalism is where the magic is and what Boehl-a-shite want to dispense with so they can sell to as many consumers as possible.

6 Likes

But without foreign owners (American or from the Middle East) the EPL wouldnā€™t be the #1 league. Would Klopp like to go back to managing a club that isnā€™t a financial powerhouse in a dead domestic league?

Yeah, the all-star game is a silly idea.

2 Likes

CheLsea with another L

4 Likes

^ satire but still funny

5 Likes

Although theyā€™re joking, itā€™s not that outrageous for an American businessman to have an idea like that.

If they do want a new name, what about The Chelsea Cowboys or the Wild West Londoners. :grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™d stick with something simple, clear and concise, like ā€˜Cuntsā€™.

10 Likes

Their original name is Chel~~sea

Their new name should be Pu~~ssy

3 Likes