Cesc Fabregas

40 goal contributions in 37 matches as a 22 year old central midfielder.

The league hasn’t seen a young central midfielder this prodigiously challenged in the ten plus years since. I’m not sure the world has either.

I know we don’t have to compare and contrast them, but I’m going to anyway… personally, give me Cesc over Ozil every single damn day of the week.

15 Likes

There’s no discussion there. Cesc was an absolute monster.

I wonder when they started tracking assists in game and if in the 70s/80s/90s there was any other players putting out comparable numbers?

World class talent, as was Ozil. Would’ve loved to see both in the same team.

Cesc was a ridiculous player. Those numbers are just silly lol, the stuff that would make you pay £100m+ for easily these days.

I always hate how little we got for Cesc comparative to his age, talent, potential, ability, performances.

2 Likes

Bizarre thing to say perhaps → I still think 07/08 season was a better one despite statiscally inferior

I think our team was better in 07/08 than it was in 09/10 and that’s probably why you’d think that. We actually had a team capable of winning a title in 07/08.

Personally I’ll always believe that if we had the 12/13 RVP in the 07/08 team than we would have had someone to push us over the edge when we fell apart

7 Likes

Those points are correct but I also feel Cesc was more of a box to box midfielder in 07/08. Post 08, I ddint enjoy his game as much.

Cesc > Özil

Cesc not only has the more memorable moments, importantly they came against stiffer opposition. Juventus, Madrid, Milan, Barcelona, Chelsea, United, Liverpool etc

You could depend on Cesc, while the gap between a great Özil game and a bad one was a chasm.

Lastly, when the chips were down, Fabregas had a way of stepping up when no one could. Twice he scored goals for Arsenal and injured himself in the process. He put his body on the line for this club. God’s own chess piece.

6 Likes

Yep and it’s not particularly close. I love Mesut and think he was a great servant but with Cesc - when you ignore the Barcelona nonsense, he gave the club everything he possibly could.

I always resented when he left but more than anything you could understand why. He wasn’t leaving us to join United or Chelsea he was leaving us to join his boyhood club who were experiencing the greatest period in their history.

He obviously wanted to come back but when Wenger foolishly turned that chance down and went to Chelsea. Nothing to be angry about in my eyes.

9 Likes

Are we sure? What was it Wenger said on that :grin:

No player has ever broke my heart like Cesc, saying that, Wenger not wanting to give him a chance and come back was some peak late era Wenger donkey brained shit.

Should have fucking brought him back for no reason other than to block Chelsea getting him, completely ignore all the beautiful nostalgia and technical ability he would have brought home. Shit like this was why Wenger wasn’t remotely competitive after a certain point.

7 Likes

In an interview with The Athletic, Wenger said: ‘It was general guidance for me to make the players realise that if you leave here, you don’t come back.

‘It was a way to retain the players who wanted to see if the grass was greener elsewhere.

‘I did it for Thierry Henry, Sol Campbell, Jens Lehmann but they were different.

‘The young players who left I didn’t like to do it.

4 Likes

Some still won’t believe it lol

Not bringing him back when Wenger had the chance was utterly stupid. And painful.

“A way to retain the players who wanted to see if the grass was greener elsewhere.” LOL

The grass was certainly greener because he went on to be instrumental in Chelsea winning the league that same year and racking up 18 league assists. Still fucks me off that he was a Chelsea player for so many years.

His pass execution and vision was unrivalled. There has not been a player in the past 30 years who was better at cutting through the lines with staggering through balls. World class world class world class.

3 Likes

The idea of this deliberate ploy to make players think twice about leaving is so fucking stupid. Who the hell did it stop leaving?

Who even thinks about going back other than players that have already ended up at BATE Borisov?

4 Likes

Nope.

Ozil > Cesc, and the fans at the time knew it. When Cuntegras became available, we had the better player. Arsenal fans were uninterested in bringing him back.

As for memorable moments, Ozil won and scored in FA Cup finals

Might want to check that memory bank :wink:

1 Like

10/10 takes.

I think as adults we should be able to separate our dislike for an individual from our true assessment of that individual as a player.
Dismissing reality is sign of immaturity.

4 Likes