Cesc Fabregas

Could even say Giroud was loyal. He wanted to stay. We got rid

Ozil was only as loyal as his option and that’s the same with most footballers. Ozil winded down his contract until there were less than 6 months left, but there were no offers forthcoming. No Bayern, no Barca, no PSG, and no Madrid.

It seems as if ambition is not compatible with loyalty.

1 Like

I can’t really take having the word ambition in the same sentence as Özil right now.

Says who? Ozil and Alexis were hot property at the time. Of course big teams would be after them if they were to get them on a free.
It’s more likely that he was already adjusted to London, which in general is a great place for people of Turkish descent. He was enjoying his football and of course, the club made him a great offer.

Ornstein confirmed that Ozil didn’t attract interest in the 2017 summer window. His agent has confirmed that there were big offers from clubs in Asia but chose to stay with Arsenal.

Ozil’s been available for a year and a half and again no interest.

1 Like

Where is that report?

Your boy in the mud :eyes:

1 Like

Ornstein’s been on the Arsecast and said the same one year after Ozil signed his new contract. This was around the time we signed Denis Suarez.

7th bullet point.

Yeah, I’ve seen that before. That was in the summer of 2017. I was talking about the period when he was running his contract out. I do remember he was linked with Man Utd and the Italian Top 3 in late 2017.
Ramsey didn’t attract serious interest in the summer of 2018 as well but then Europe’s elite were after him in late 2018.
The main difference is that both Ozil and Ramsey didn’t attempt to leave and preferred running their contracts down(probably advised by their agents/agencies too). Alexis genuinely wanted to jump ship before that.

I really miss the days when a player like this was the standard in our midfield. I’ve been watching sports my whole life and usually the enjoyment level from watching a team u support depends completely on winning. It wasn’t the case with this Arsenal side when Fabregas was in our team, I just enjoyed watching them win or lose.

8 Likes

Imagine if we signed some of those other players to play alongside him. We nearly signed CR7, we were in for him before United but they ended up paying more money and more agent fees. Nearly signed Ibrahimovic, who turned down the move after being asked to first do a trial. Nearly got Xabi Alonso but didn’t pay the extra. Or imagine if Messi came with Cesc.

No coincidence that we won fck all when we were building a team around this head-dropping snake turncoat.

We didn’t build a team around him, we dumped him in a sea of garbagemen players

1 Like

Maybe it was just because everything was new for us but it was all so romantic.

1 Like

Levels above Silva. Definitely the best Spaniard in the history of Prem.

2 Likes

Unbelievable young footballer he was, a real shame we couldn’t win the title in 2008 as his time would be looked back on rather different from the naysayers, fuck those RVP and Eduardo injuries.

2 Likes

I think we are too harsh on our youngsters because of what we have seen from Cesc.

So anyone who isn’t as good as Cesc at the beginning is harshly treated, but Cesc was right up there with Ronaldo and Messi as the best 18 year old of his generation.

Not everyone is that good that early and we should be more patient with our youngsters.

1 Like

We were bottling bastards, too.

If you’re playing Chelsea, Liverpool 3 times and Manchester United within the space of a month and can’t win any of those matches, you don’t deserve to win the league.

Fabregas was as much a part of the bottling as the others.

‘Deserving’ to win the League is so stupid. Injuries derailed our season. Fuck if it is deserved or not.

Got robbed in the Liverpool tie if that’s what you’re talking about ? Not much Cesc can do about NB 52 blocking his goal bound effort, the ref not awarding a pen for a blatant shirt pull on Hleb or falling for the Babel dive.

As for the league we were seriously unlucky to lose to Chelsea and United, from memory we could have led United 3-0 before they equalised but missed some guilt edged chances we’d have like scored with RVP and or Eduardo healthy.