Black Lives Matter Movement

I think it depends entirely on who the butt of the joke is.

Thereā€™s certainly unsavory elements within sections of the protest. The anarchy, looting, numerous deaths, homeless guy getting set on fire, another homeless guy getting his bed set on fire, shop owners getting beaten or put in hospital, protestors destroying small businesses. The self policed state in Seattle taken where police wonā€™t enter has several people that have been shot (amongst each other), 1 killed and a rape complaint from within it.

1 Like

Comedy is societyā€™s way of acceptance and intergration, especially in the UK and US I think. It breaks down barriers and makes sensitive topics easier to address.

To start banning it all is doom and gloom. Are we going to live in a serious world where we cannot make fun of each other whilst accepting each other for who we are. Bad precedence to set IMO.

Walking on egg shells is no way to live.

6 Likes

Itā€™s a great way to look incredibly oversensitive and thereby lose support by attacking something that a lot of moderate, neutral people like. Thatā€™s not how to get the moderates on board.

Iā€™ll be surprised if South Park or Sacha Baron Cohenā€™s film The Dictator along with Tropic Thunder Survives the purge.

South Park, if their history is anything to go by, will likely make an episode where they mock all of this.

1 Like

No of course not, everyone will still be allowed to make fun of straight white men and women.

2 Likes

I read that an episode of Golden Girls got dumped cos they were wearing mud masks.

1 Like

TBH while it was jokey, it was also somewhat serious. Iā€™ve thought for a long time itā€™s a shame many 70s-80s sitcoms canā€™t be watched anymore because of the changes in political correctness. What next, can we not watch White Chicks anymore? Obviously a bit different. Pardon the pun but it does whitewash history and culture. Also most people complaining probably donā€™t know why black face is racist. Itā€™s nothing to do with impersonating a black man/woman.

Jakey is kind of right about the Peep Show. Itā€™s not meant to be racist, IIRC Jeremy says ā€˜isnā€™t this racistā€™. The girl who demanded he did replied ā€˜How racist are you if you canā€™t roleplay as a black man while pretending Iā€™m your motherā€™. Itā€™s deliberately absurb.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s hardly any comedy out there which is not deemed offensive by one set of people or the other.

1 Like

This.
For all the positive acceptance, I feel like we are moving towards a society where we are always going to walk on egg shells.

I had a strong discussion with Jakey before that the society is just gonna put on an act, rather than being actual friendly.

1 Like

The world will never be equal, that concept is a joke; people are unequal by default and there is nothing you can do about that.

Comedy should be protected itā€™s the one place people can make fun of absurdities, bring humour to bleak subjects, educate, and just a place to escape the crap in the world. Like @Trion said whatā€™s offensive is different for different people.

1 Like

There you go lads. Stop wasting your time fighting for justice. End this topic here.

2 Likes

Justice is not about being equalā€¦

1 Like

Heā€™s been screaming it the entire topic lol. Itā€™s almost like he just wants the world to accept that itā€™s grossly unequal and nobody should do anything to change it but just continue to plod along as we are. It is what it is

5 Likes

The world never be equal because people arenā€™t equal is that a hard concept to understandā€¦some people are smart some are dumb, some are tall some are short you canā€™t adjust society for equal outcomes without pulling people down to the lowest denominator.

1 Like

A long read on a black conservatives nuanced view on the movement and the issues face in the community from within it. Probably with all due respect to them, the view of @mhappy @ryaninho articulated a little better

http://futurecities.org.uk/2020/06/23/which-lives-matter/

2 Likes

Yeah we should of left them kids cleaning chimneys and never bothered with schools and education.
Just know your place in society and get on with it.
Usually your banging on about raising yourself up and go forward. Today your saying forget that and accept your lot. Your pissing on your own agenda here.

1 Like

I made a jokey comment about Little Britain being shit and that being grounds to have pulled it years ago, if memory serves me correctly.

Aside from that, schadenfreude doesnā€™t really fit anyway. Thatā€™s taking pleasure in someone elseā€™s misfortune, Netflix removing one scene from Peep Show while Channel 4 doesnā€™t is not any sort of personal misfortune for me, I donā€™t care lol. I just thought that a discussion of whether there is any room for nuance when it comes to blackface might be of some interest in this thread.

Bruh we even exchanged posts on not removing old and arguably offensive material from wide availability, and how if anything putting a disclaimer on it and leaving the content up would be a compromise

How you now gonna do me like this :xhaka: :papa: :bellcry:

Seriously your argument is so dumb right now; educating children does make them equal rather it gives them a chance to make something of themselves (opportunity).

Accepting your lot in life? Thatā€™s not basis of my argument thatā€™s how you take it; what I am saying is that change needs to begin internally. You bring up child chimney sweepers it ended due to innovation within the enlightenment period and the awareness of how terrible it was (a practice that lasted for more 200 years)