Arsenal's Best Possible Starting XI?

So difficult to chose out best formation/line up with Pepe now, the good thing is there’s many options we can deploy to mix things up particularly in the midfield and forward line

My line up for Newcastle:

Leno, Bellerin, Sokratis, Holding, Tierney; Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos; Pépé, Iwobi; Aubameyang

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

Leno

Chambers Sokratis Mustafi (unfortunately rn until Holding comes back) Monreal (this better change with Tierney)

Ceballos Torreira Guendouzi

Pepe Auba Laca/Nelson/Saka

Is the ideal starting XI Vs Newcastle imo.

Ozil, Mkhi and Iwobi provide options off the bench but they’ll have to work hard and not filth things up to play.

Of course this lineup is unrealistic given Xhaka will probably start :xhaka:

1 Like

For me it’s

Leno, Bellerin, Holding, Sokratis, Tierney*, Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, Pépé*, Aubameyang, Özil

against Newcastle

Updated:

-----------------------Leno----------------------
Bellerin—Papa—Holding—Tierney
------------Torreira---------Dani------------
Pepe-----------------Özil--------------Auba
-------------------------Laca---------------------

Dayummm homie we aren’t fucking around this season. Not making the CL 3 years running must have scared the fucking pants off the ownership. Only real area of the squad that needs upgrading is at CB but if Holding/Chambers get better maybe we can hold off on that until next season.

2 Likes

Not sure if we can have Ozil and Ceballos in the same XI

1 Like

Ceballos is a good defender from reading up on him, he’s more Santi than Ramsey.

Decent, have you got any links to good write ups?

Just going off what Emery said about seeing Ceballos as a 8 or 10 type player, not sure if he has the defensive awareness to play in a midfield two

I’d go with that although I think Emery might try and squeeze Xhaka in somewhere but with that team, I don’t know who he could leave out.

That team is basically our best players but it also means we have a more than competent bench, with Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers, Iwobi, AMN, Guendouzi etc.

It would have been nice to get a new CB for this season but at least it will be entertaining to watch us going forward even if do do look flimsy at the back.

I don’t think we’re going to see many 0-0 draws or boring games.

1 Like

No way Iwobi. Don’t care as much about balance—want Auba and Laca up front. You get your best players on the pitch at the same time.

The main issue we’re going to have once again is figuring out how to get Laca and Auba in the side together. If we’re going with a 4-2-3-1, I’d personally like to see Pepe on the right and Iwobi on the left with Ozil in between as that’d provide good balance, but obviously we can then only play one of the strikers in that scenario. Otherwise Auba could be deployed in the left in place of Iwobi.

I really hope Emery starts playing to a shape rather than changing it to cram those two players into the side all of the time though, especially because we’re hopefully going to have a true winger to select now.

1 Like

Why do people want to start Iwobi ffs. It should be Auba Laca Pepe nobody else.

You play your best three players

1 Like

Because Iwobi can actually carry the ball out wide and Auba generally just makes runs inside and is very low on touches. Sometimes it helps to have Iwobi in the side imo

-Pepe—Auba----Pepe-
---------Pepe-----------
–Pepe---------Pepe—
-Pepe-Sok-Pepe-Pepe-
--------Leno----------

6 Likes

I regard Iwobi as a better wing option on the left than Auba tbh. Especially against deep blocks which we’ll encounter most weeks in the league we’re going to need more than directness to break them down.

I’m really not interested in any line up where Auba is shifted wide, he has to be CF imo he’s a proven goalscorer who does his best work in the final third.

Laca left wing isn’t even a shout, he’s more capble of playing with his back to goal and helping with the defensive work

Not at the expense of balance in the 11 which is important, lack of it last season is a part reason why we shipped the number of goals we did. We were too top heavy.

The great thing is we have options now to mix things up if we need a change in games.

2 Likes

Nice to see I’m not the only one who thinks this

I think the shipping goals had a lot more to do with poor players at the back making stupid mistakes more so than tactical issues.

Sure, in an ideal scenario, balance would be great. However, I wouldn’t sacrifice putting a subpar iwobi out there for balance while a player capable of creating the moment needed to change a game like Auba/Laca are on the bench.

Which one?

0 voters

:one:

:two:

:three:

1 Like

Add a poll :grinning:

2 Likes

Number 2 with Nelson instead of crappy Mikitarian.

And extra cheese plz

1 Like