Arsenal Women

Come on the Liverpool Ladies!

3 Likes

Not that I’ve watched a whole lot of WSL but by all accounts this award is well deserved. Nice one Viv!

@Aussiegooner

3 Likes

She good?

https://www.footballfancast.com/pfa-awards

Also, the Women’s Champions League starts again today at the QF stage. Arsenal v PSG is tomorrow at 7pm on BT Sport.

Only English team left in a European competition :smile: (though if you want to support a Scottish one, Glasgow City Women are playing as we speak).

2 Likes

Apparently Lyon aren’t as good as they are made out to be?

We have every chance of #2, come on!

Your peeps aren’t doing well

1 Like

They did amazing just to make it this far tbf

1 Like

Yeah, true. I read an article in the Guardian earlier (by Tim Stillman) saying they needed donations to afford the costs of competing tonight. Plus, they’re only part time, right? That is pretty impressive tbf.

Scored a wee banger as well

1 Like

Class.
Women’s football should focus on skills and flair, rather than trying to replicate the intensity of men’s football.
Would love to have an option of different kind of football

And then you’d watch it?

The game is about winning at basically every level.

Yeah, if given a choice, most people would prefer to watch Barcelona as opposed to watching Juventus, Liverpool as opposed to Marseille etc.
It’s about Entertainment. Juventus win more than Dortmund but I would pay to watch Dortmund.

Women’s Tennis provides a different flavour of tennis which adds an entertainment value; and hence that’s about the only sport which does as well as men’s version.

That’s nonsene. Women’s football shouldn’t be different. I’ve watched many Arsenal women games and enjoyed them

Does it? I genuinely don’t know but it always feels to me that mens tennis gets much more coverage. They have the same prize money, think that’s about it.

I get your point. Maybe of the mainstream sports. But even then, people would still rather watch Nadal or Federer than Wozniacki. I know it’s not the point, but I think a better example is athletics. Or a lot of the Olympics events, so swimming, gymnastics etc. That’s where men and women seem to be treated more equally.

1 Like

Well of-course they do. But do you know of any other sport where the female version is as popular as women’s tennis. I can only think of MMA.

Men’s tennis have more aces on grass surface while there are more rallies on grass surface for women’s tennis which is more entertaining for audience.
Audience enjoy the prolonged exchanges & anticipated winner of a rally, hence women’s tennis has gained traction.

Giving same product as men’s becomes a hard sell.

No but I also can’t think of any other major sports where the major tournaments get played at the same time for men and women. It has far more to do with that than anything else. The women’s game is treated and promoted equally by the administrators.

Maybe, only a proper tennis enthusiast would be able to confirm whether the same venue made it happen or the traction for women’s tennis made administrators to promote them equally.

I would bet highly on later as administrators won’t give a flying fuck about equality if they are not selling out the stands.

I would say Athletics enhance women’s attributes in terms of grace, flexibility and posture.
They also make for great individual stories.

Mainstream sports do not utilize women’s best attributes.