Arsenal Vs Villarreal (UEL)

Anomaly

We win the EL with the dream team of Freddie, Dr Driscoll and Per btw.

No smooth-braining, and we waltz to the cup.

2 Likes

I still can’t get over last night’s performance. Like what the fuck was that? One goal, all we needed was one goal ffs.

We literally had nothing to play for outside of this game, and Arteta set us up for a draw. Villarreal is a garbage Emery team and over the 2 legs we couldn’t put in more than 4 shots on goal! It’s like every year things get worse, and worse football wise. We’ve been eliminated from every cup competition with out so much as a whimper. Absolutely unbelievable.

6 Likes

Thought like the team had been coached and dossiered to death.
He’s overly though this out. Seeing things the opposition don’t possess in their game. Doesn’t trust his players and they in turn don’t trust one another to go outside the process.
It was basically a frightened team that went onto the pitch.
Sometimes you get lucky like we did in Benfica and use it by learning and move on. We haven’t. We convinced ourselves we outplayed them and the score flattered them and we deservedly won because the process came good.
It’s been the season from hell and the only saving grace in one respect is that fans didn’t have to endure it.
Honestly though not to really have been in a position with real intent of challenging for a Europa spot is beyond pathetic.

7 Likes

Disgusting.

To play so limp and timid in a huge European semi-final is shameful for all involved.

I largely blame Arteta for this and the players will have a portion.

The players overall are too timid to do anything and Arteta’s over-analytical and micro-managed style have the opposite effect on these players when the margins don’t work in our favour.

It’s a shame that the painstaking urgency would have been felt through the fans watching on screens, but the management and squad on the pitch struggle to show it

3 Likes

I think a new profile picture is in order :grimacing:

Everyone is rightly effed off at Arteta but how gutless were our players yesterday.
No desire whatsoever from professional players who were just a game away from Finals.

4 Likes

Yeah and a lot of them have very little on their CVs.
Dixon in commentary kept mentioning how big a European semi final is and you might never get another. Plenty of these won’t.

4 Likes

Agreed.

If a new guy comes in and these guys miraculously put in 8 out of 10 or 9 out of 10 performances, it’ll take me a long time to warm to them.

Good chance they won’t.
Leno, Holding, Bellerin, Mari, Pepe, Lacazette are bunch of players who will not be good enough for big competitions in future. They should have been broken every fiber in their body in last 10 minutes to make things happen.
I understand we don’t want to make mistakes in first 70-80 minutes but fucking romp at the opponents in last 10.

Cowards.

6 Likes

We even got a good break when Chukweze got injured.
Villareal didn’t have much firepower to do damage.

1 Like

Exactly this.

And if we end up losing 0-1 so be it. I’d rather that than the limp dick performance last night. Not even enjoyable in the stressful sense.

12 Likes

Agreed with the fellow posters above on the performance. The manager is shit but these guys confirmed that they are straight up losers when it comes to mentality.

As @Stroller would say talking about the old days. At some point players have to take matters into their own hands, fuck the manager. Perhaps it’s an old school mentality but these guys for lack of a better term demonstrated how soft they was.

This Villarreal team was crap. Their goalie flapped and flopped at everything. The offensive threat was laughable. Aimless crosses. Awful shooting ability and dodgy passing. Only thing they did right was be very stubborn and harass our team off the ball. We lost a team that displayed relegation team characteristics.

At this point the players ambitions have to be questioned when there is such a lack of will to win even for personal and professional pride. These guys are a bunch of losers.

6 Likes

Can’t believe how good Villarreal were at avoiding the ball being in play in that 2nd half. I’d love to see the stats but every throw, free-kick, goal-kick etc. was 45+ seconds. No flow whatsoever in the match.

5 Likes

This is something that really fucks me off about the game in general. I’d love them to introduce something like a “shot clock” around throw ins. It goes completely unnoticed.

3 Likes

Now this is tactics…

2 Likes

That was a proper Emery masterclass yesterday. The guy turns into a phenom in that competition.
Man Utd can’t sleep on them.

Lol

2 Likes

Turns out he isn’t that bad when he focuses in his favourite competition and doesn’t have issues communicating.

Yes yes he’s a perfectly cromulent coach. Masterclass is most certainly an overstatement however.

2 Likes