Arsenal Vs Tottenham (PL)

That video from Carra is great, but it does make me realise that maybe it was more a case of Tottenham being really shit than us being really good :laughing:

Tottenham served it up on a platter for us, Norwich and Burnley werenā€™t particularly convincing games from us so Iā€™m not entirely sold on us having turned a big corner in the season.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s incredible haha

Iā€™d say having more free weeks to train fully with the newer players is paying off.
We looked a well drilled team Sunday. The lack of press from spuds played into our hands but we had shape and pace too our game.
Everyone seemed willing runners and I like to think a bit of a blueprint is being laid here.
Time will tell but I think thereā€™s a tweak in our approach that takes us on some new development.

8 Likes

This is why I celebrated missing out on the uefa conference league when spurs scored that goal in the last minute.

It would be embarrassing for us to be in that and a total waste of time when we could use that time on the training ground

2 Likes

yeah it was :slight_smile: but ofc no point in bringing it up in the moment. It was great to convincingly beat them as theyā€™ve been better than us on paper for years tbh. It was a nice wind of momentum after our shit start to the season. To see some fluency in attack, control in midfield and solidity at the back all at the same time and to win a NLD and to enjoy that for a few days.

But yes they were absolutely terrible in every department and their club is a shambles atm, not sure this game says anything the 1-0 wins against Norwich or Burnley didnā€™t. The momentum consecutive wins brings maybe helps tho.

4 Likes

I watched the highlights. Because I was on a high I was thinking we absolutely shit on them, then I saw some MNF highlights where they ripped Spurs tactics and how fucking awful they were.

But towards the end Kane Outmuscled Tomi for I think an easy chip goal, ramsdale makes a stunning save, and kanes cross goal shot is so close to spilling to son.

They had good chances man and I didnā€™t really notice it at the time how they couldā€™ve easily got a point from us. Considering how dominant we were itā€™s disappointing.

3 Likes

We have no time for this kind of analysis.

6 Likes

Yeah on another day they could have had the penalty call go their way and Kane chance could have been an equilizer. But we secured the win and I would rather focus on the positives for now

This all seems overly negative. They created very little in that second half for a team 3-0 down. We came at them for the first fifteen and they did nothing at all then we basically allowed them to have the ball for the last 30 minutes and they only had made two real chances, one of them coming when Xhaka was down.

We were well worth the win and I canā€™t remember seeing us go 3-0 up in a NLD game so easily before and we could have had more.
They looked clueless from the kick off and their organisation, especially in midfield, was amateurish.

They did play better in the second half and, although our defending for the goal wasnā€™t great, they just about deserved to score but only because we had become a bit complacent.

I donā€™t care if we finish mid table, as long as spurs are below us.

The next game against Brighton will see if we are on the right track.
Although we have won our last three PL games they were unconvincing performances against the two bottom sides and very poor spurs side, who have lost their last three PL games and have let in three goals in each.

A convincing win against Brighton, followed by wins at home to Crystal Palace and Aston Villa, might go some way to convincing supporters weā€™ve turned an Arteta corner.

1 Like

All I was saying is if they got lucky then they could have had gotten a draw (as SJJ was pointing out), but yeah I would rather focus on the positives after a thrilling NLD

1 Like

I understand everything about the historical rivalry with Spuds, but for well over 25 years now Iā€™ve been very adamant when it comes to focusing on bigger things than the North London rivalry.

Of course with Arsene we were continually in the CL, won a few PL titles and I looked down on Spuds fans making the NLD everything for them when we had for example a big CL match three days later. Yes, weā€™ve fallen behind Spuds for a bit now, but I still see us as the much bigger club that has been underachieving due to incompetent executives more than anything else.

For me, and weā€™re all different, Iā€™m going to remain focused on things well beyond the North London rivalry. Sights are set much higher than that. For that reason finishing mid-table but finishing above Spuds is still not acceptable for me. We need to get back into EL, minimum.

2 Likes

I agree, we are a bigger, more successful club and have more pulling power than them but in recent seasons, watching them get to a CL final and consistently finish above us, is too much.

So, if weā€™re out of Europe, seeing them lower than us makes it more tolerable but, like you say, we should be in the EL at minimum and challenging for a CL place.

1 Like

The analysis in here has been spot on. Ppl wonā€™t want to admit it but it was 45 minutes of an NLD where our players were hyped up and Spurs didnā€™t even show. Second half we lost 1 nil and Kane coulda made it worse plus Ramsdale had to make an amazing save to keep it at 3 - 1.

We havenā€™t turned a corner. We are gonna a have results like this against sides who either donā€™t turn up or some individual brilliance from our guys.

4 Likes

However, there have been plenty of times in the last couple of seasons where we havenā€™t battered teams that were there for the taking. At least we have this time.

5 Likes

We should play down the NLD and ignore it, not giving them anything to cheer for.

They havenā€™t won any shit for decades and I donā€™t know why we should see them as a ā€œtrueā€ rival.
They sneaked into the CL Final and yes it hurts, but it was a one time fluke, they had one peak season and thatā€™s it, just like Monaco stole the Ligue 1 title from PSG; and they are back as the normal Spuds now.

Let the NLD be the match in between their first team and second team.

1 Like

Taking the local rival out of it, we canā€™t ignore they are a direct rival having finished above us for a few seasons now.
Plus us beating them hurts the bastards and sets them in real freefall.

2 Likes

Once we are back on track, they will be irrelevant again.

I wonā€™t lower myself to call a team that hasnā€™t won anything for decades a ā€œrivalā€, unless you want to admit we are as shit as them.

Like Bayern and all other teams in Munich (Munich 1860 etc), do they call themselves as Bayernā€™s rival?

1 Like

Tottenham are one of the teams we have to finish above.
They have finished above us for a few seasons. We canā€™t escape that fact. Us being invincible 17 years ago isnā€™t worth fuck all points wise this season.

6 Likes

I just started supporting Arsenal for 10 years, never tasted or experienced anything of invincibleā€¦ but the for past 10 years, we won the FA Cup 4 times, and the Spuds won no shit.

Having a crop of good players and get into the CL Final once has no match to that.
Even they finished above us in the league for a few times canā€™t deny that. They had some good players in their prime and we are in a slump.
It is not just the invincible times but the past decades, the history of the club.
We had a few bad hires, few bad transfers and a terrible owner and board, and finally start getting back on track, see who will finish better in the league.

1 Like