Arsenal Reserves & Youths

He’s been at the club 7 years and still doesn’t have his own thread. I think we’ll be OK.

4 Likes

He is only 22. I hope he does well. Would be shame if his unique talents go to waste

In fairness he had one on the old site. But it’s ridiculous he was still on our books.

Crazy to think many were hyping this young lad up as the next big thing. Had a loan spell at Rangers and played decent there, just read up he only played 9 times for a second division Dutch team after that. Didn’t seem to play for us since 2014, I know he had a injury in there too but just another one we hyped up that wasn’t good enough really cause we watch a 1 minute videos of them on YouTube i.e Daniel Crowley,

Good luck to the lad, will never be at a top club but if he can get himself a move to a mid table club at a European club down the line it be a great thing for him.

Never get excited by hardly anything at this level anymore tbh. Have more hope in Smith Rowe than hardly anybody in the last decade but not totally convinced.

3 Likes

Yeah ESR is my new great hope too.

I haven’t given up on Nketiah though and nobody talks about him. Too bad Nelson may be heading down wrong path.

ESR doesn’t even look THAT spectacular tbh.

Seeing Cesc, Messi and Ronaldo at that age have kind of ruined any other youngsters for me.

2 Likes

Smith Rowe looks a talent, but we just never know these days what happen Emery might not see anything special in Smith Rowe or Nelson and moves them on, or known most young talent these days they get offered bigger wages from another club and jump ship. I think both lads will have a great future here, but at this moment we need to take it with a pinch of salt until a young player really makes a mark in the first team like Iwobi and Bellerin have.

Same. After a while, when all these ‘exciting’ future talents, never really delivered or got moved on, I just kinda stopped caring and taking any further notice of what people would say about such and such player. Only one or two seem to geniunely break through and stay there every couple of years. Like you say, Smith Rowe seems like a possible contender for long term prospect, but we’ll have to wait and see.

I remember on old OA we used to have a sub forum for reserves and youth chatter and back in it’s peak, we used to get quite a lot of discussion on it and all the seemingly various amount of prospects. It’s certainly noticeable it calmed down in recent years to the point where a single thread now is enough to discuss it all.

2 Likes

Interesting article on Dan Crowley. I had totally forgotten about him honestly.

Haven’t personally. I do check occasionally how he’s doing. Good that he’s rising up and maturing as a person and player, I do remember he even struggled when he went to Netherlands initially. Ajax stealing the spotlight in Europe will surely put more eyes into the Eredivisie. Time for him to show his potential.

What were the main issues he had when he was with us? I knew about him peripherally and he was very talented but I guess he wasn’t professional enough?

Apparently he wasn’t reacting well when not picked which got him a bad rep. He was a talented lad, he showed it when he played. I remember seeing compilations of his performances and he really shone, Then 2 weeks later you were hearing that he fell ouy with the manager. Dunno if he was Arsenal quality but I could see him in a mid-table side in the PL.

Yeah it’s amazing how many talented players there are who don’t make it to the top because they don’t have the mentality.

1 Like

Yikes… At a U9 match…

Apparently he called a young girl “a little prick” :flushed:

Yeah it takes a fairly low class individual to get that irate at any referee, let alone a young girl refereeing an under-9 match. Pretty incredible.

It was alleged Mr Nichols shouted derogatory comments, such as “Oh my god!” and “Are you having a laugh?!”

Hope they lock this monster up for a long time.

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Disappointed to see Yunus Musah leaving the club. Was our best young scholar and seemed like our biggest talent to come through as a scholar since Reiss Nelson or Emile Smith Rowe. Comparisons to Pogba in his style…

Amaechi too is leaving it seems. If it’s true it was one of Amaechi or Saka tbh I’d have chosen Amaechi. Saka, unless he makes a transition to LB, as a traditional winger it’s hard to see him having much more upside than a Moussa Diaby type. Not sure why he would be preferred to Amaechi but then this is the Emery regime and he loves his wide players who put in crosses with the left from the left right from the right. Amaechi as a two-footed player with more to his game, and just as much or even more pace than Saka, has much more upside even if Saka was a bit more advanced this past season. If giving him chances over Saka would’ve made him stay we should’ve given him chances over Saka, even if Saka was the more ready.

I know it’s part of a larger trend in English youth but this trend of losing our best prospects is especially worrying for a club that has to put more focus on this aspect to have success in the future.

1 Like