Arsenal Football Club History

It really really bugs me that we couldn’t just expand on our stadium. Highbury was really one of a kind, it oozed class and it had such an immense atmosphere, stands were so close to the narrow pitch. Emirates will never compare.

I’ll add, and this may sound sappy. But really a part of our club died when we left, for 90% of clubs a stadium is just a stadium but for a few the stadium is part of who the club are, it’s part of their identity. Same way that Anfield is Liverpool and Liverpool is Anfield, Milan and the San Siro, Barcelona and the Camp Nou, Highbury was Arsenal and Arsenal was Highbury.

4 Likes

It’s literally 5 mins from my house. Love cycling around there and enjoying the Highbury nostalgia.

6 Likes

For those of us of a certain age, just standing around the place you can sense and smell the days of years gone by, of the players and fans that have been and gone.

5 Likes

Wish Highbury was still our home deck.

4 Likes

There aren’t many football grounds as distinctive as Highbury anywhere in Europe, especially among the top clubs.
Only Craven Cottage comes close as a stadium with such character.

2 Likes

17/9/2016, Hull 1 Arsenal 4, 3rd after 5 games.

3 Likes

May have been the 1st game Xhaka started for Arsenal.

Didn’t he score that worldie in that game and we were all sold on him?

He did score in stoppage time that I can remember.

He may have started vs Watford a week or 2 earlier in the league also, so I may have got his first start wrong.

18/9/1999, Southampton 0 Arsenal 1, 2nd after 8 games.

Was it Thierry Henry’s first goal for the club ? A 77th minute winner at the Dell ? @DavidHillier

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right, 1 of 228.

1 Like

Words not needed

4 Likes

I have some words?

Who the feck is he tackling…
Only Ben White could be THAT late, ffs…Not even in shot!..

19/9/1970, Arsenal 6 WBA 2, 3rd after 9 games.

1 Like

20/9/1969, Arsenal 2 Manchester United 2, 10th after 11 games.
A favourite afternoon at Highbury.

1 Like

21/9/1997, Chelsea 2 Arsenal 3, 2nd after 7 games.

5 Likes

WINTERBUUUUUUUURN

3 Likes

22/9/2013, Arsenal 3 Stoke 1, top after 5 games.
Watch in Quebec.

2 Likes
1 Like