Arsenal Football Club History

Awful season that actually. Came 16th and some think 8th is bad.
Had a season low attendance of 16,000 against Newcastle too.

3 Likes

Had a look up, 16th that season then 17th the after. Yikes.

2 Likes

Yeah man believe me there has been worse teams.
Fucking nobody with the balls or vision to build a team around Brady.
If Brady never went to Juventus his talent would never have reached it’s rightful level here.

4 Likes

I look at that side, though.

Brady, Ball, Kidd, Rice. I think Radford was still there, too?

As you say, the right management and Arsenal win another league title in the 70s.

That particular season was only won by bloody Derby managed by Johnny Giles (I believe). Charlie George played for them that season.

1 Like

1975-76, Doesn’t look awful does it? Was Bertie Mee really bad by then?

Dave Mackay actually but yeah it never reached it’s true standing and should never have fell that far back.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. He was well and truly lost by then. Whisper it but he’s the worst Arsenal manager ive ever seen by that time. :eyes:

2 Likes

That Malcolm McDonald was Pepe levels of flop.

Bloody one third of a bloody million.

1 Like

Thought you was messing with me but:

:rofl: Excuse me?

1 Like

Leading goal scorer though for 3 seasons here and golden boot winner one season.
Had bad knee injuries here.
Bone or gristle left in from an early injury at Newcastle.
Back in the day before laser surgery ruined his career.
Alan Hudson never worked out though. Chelsea shite transfer before it became a trend.

2 Likes

I think he scored a hat trick v Newcastle when he first played against them as an Arsenal player

1 Like

Yeah 5 3 game. Stand out memory that.
Trivia fact of the day for you here. The surgeon who eventually sorted his knee out late on after he left was named Bram Stoker.:crazy_face:

1 Like

I expect a new entry of ‘Dracula’ in the “What was the last book you read” thread, Strolls.

1 Like

I went to a midweek game against Newcastle at Highbury in the late eighties and there was a crowd of around 18,000, which I thought was low.

I think you’re right, it’s pretty bad here now but after Brady and Stapleton left to when Graham took over wasn’t great either.

We were often mid table, with the FA Cup final win against Man U as the only success.

3 Likes

15/9/2012, Arsenal 6 Southampton 1, 3rd after 4 games.

1 Like

16/9/1996, Arsenal 4 Sheffield Wednesday 1, 7th after 6 games.

Just went through Highbury stadium so thought I’d take a couple pics. The outside still retains its character it’s just fucking beautiful.

16 Likes

Man that second pic is so iconic, brings back so many childhood memories so much nostalgia. :+1:t4:

5 Likes

I love how its still there.

No other clubs are as lucky as us.

I loved seeing Highbury for the first time in 2019 when I was in London. As when I have been in London in other times I never got a chance to see it. Its a majestic place still

4 Likes

Always have a picture of that in my head in the night time games. So iconic.

6 Likes