Arsenal Football Club History

What a bloody late goal that was, looking back!

I don’t know why it’s not talked about more.

2 Likes

You had TTX in 1971? Damn…
I thought they only invented it in the 90s or so… :bergkamp:

3 Likes

No but there’s a site you can get them done on now for tee shirts and stuff.

2 Likes

Good old times when TTX was my main source of football info… It was like that going deep in the 2000s for me. :bellend: Still remember when I was reading the news of Hleb’s transfer…

Nowadays you’re just overdosed on info and rumours all the time.

4 Likes

Like most things in life for me more can be less. Anticipation is underrated :innocent:

5 Likes

50 years ago to the day that.

Must have been a bank holiday as well, that.

I can remember Alan Mullery looking back on it and saying they were in fear of the team bus not making it into the stadium, for the swathes of people surrounding it.

3 Likes

Huge when you think it set up the chance of the double that was there prized possession at that time and seen as almost impossible to do.

4 Likes

My dad was too tight to pay for sky sports growing up so I largely followed live premiership games and European football through ceefax, back I the days when I uses to read Football365 all the time haha

4 Likes
4 Likes

This is my favourite Highbury goal.

3 Likes

Apparently only modern centre backs can pass a ball like Bould and finish like Adams though mate.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like
1 Like

Ergh damn you @Calum for posting that and double-damn you @Stroller for liking it.

Horrible memory :pensive:

1 Like

Swear that counter attack goal was standard DNA on our games with them in that period.

2 Likes

These are the kind of records we used to set :grin:

9 Likes

14-5-0 away and 12-4-3 at home with loses to Leeds 1-2, Charlton 2-4 and Newcastle 1-3… what a season @DavidHillier

3 Likes

Claus Jensen with a pearler in the 2-4 game.

Still can’t fathom how Parlour and Craig Bellamy got sent off in the 1-3 v the Barcodes

1 Like

That was a totally different club, Highbury would be fucking bumping could hear the crowd all over Islington, would be lucky to get that kind of environment outside of a NLD at the Emirates now, got stewards telling people to quiet down and not stand up now :joy::rofl:.

Had owners who had a long and vested history in the club, footballing people like Dein, Pat Rice, Liam Brady, Bob Wilson etc… running things behind the scenes, a proper crest, players who has fight, determination and passion. There was at least 8/9 players in that first team who LOVED Arsenal football club. We’re not that club anymore. We were all about the football back then.

We’re now some faceless corporation/franchise who spend our time promoting our selves on social media, finding more ways to make money and promote the brand not the football. Endless bullshit videos of our dipshit players useless training sessions, and locker room “banter”. New Jersey every couple of months, owners who couldn’t give a fuck about the club, executive staff who don’t have a clue about football. A new generation of fans who have no idea what it even means to support a good football club but base their support of the team on what Arsenal does outside of the pitch.

We’re a fucking joke, and we can laugh at clubs like City and Chelsea. But their owners and those clubs are about the football, yeah their run like a business, and are global brands but they are so because of their on the pitch success and their owners would never ever let their club be run the same way as ours is.

Our club is a joke now and I doubt we will ever set records like that again in our life times.

5 Likes

Ever so crucial point there, mate.

To think that since 2004 we’ve only really had a shot at the league in 2 and a half seasons (08, 14 and 05 depending on how you look at it), it’s pathetic.

We can make all the excuses we like at club level, but Leicester don’t. If Chelsea and Man City are buying their way to titles and success and Man United aren’t far behind, there is no reason we shouldn’t be finishing 4th every single season.

1 Like

5 Likes