Arsenal Football Club History

2 Likes
6 Likes

If we had have bought Ferguson, it would have meant that he would have been playing alongside George Graham, who we bought the season before from Chelsea.

2 Likes

He looks like that guy that plays Sherlock Holmes in that showā€¦ Benedict Cucumberbachā€¦

1 Like

And now he looks like Benedict Cunt-erbatch

1 Like
1 Like

Am I allowed to have a moan?

That run means fuck all if we didnā€™t win it.

2 Likes

Tbh I usually share this sentiment on this sort of stuff.
I think the CL though is slightly different. Think getting the final is an achievement but itā€™s probably tinged for me on the failings of never having won it because we should have. Thereā€™s definitely a feeling for me of not being tactically good enough by the manager.
This campaign was our best because we addressed tactics in a more pragmatic and measured way but before and afterwards was poor management.
Yoi really have to be structured in Europe and we got found out far too often.

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure a lot of peope will agree with you, but I donā€™t look at it that wayā€¦ In general, not just with Arsenal, I never just look at the bare final resultā€¦ The stuff Juve did under Allegri, getting two finals, Atleti with Simeoneā€¦ Or sometimes even getting close to winning the leagueā€¦

Performances count imo. The level of perfomance we showed that season, in KO round, was amazing. Absolutely ahead of itā€™s time with the football we played. First of all that game against Juve at Highbury, I said it - the best and most complete Arsenal performance Iā€™ve seen.

The way I rate it: a CL final > UEFA cup win.

Basically the biggest european Arsenal result in the modern history of the club in my eyes.

Winning the CLā€¦ I canā€™t put it in words how much it would mean to me.

(I still have video cassettes of both semi final legs against Villarreal and the final too :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

I kinda get you but I think I fundamentally disagree with you, daft as it sounds.

We do remember beaten CL finalists, particularly if itā€™s a bad luck issue (Leeds in 75, Valencia in 00 and 01, Atleti in 14 and 16, Juve have been to 4 finals since they won it in 1996 and not won).

Conversely, I find it hard to remember UEFA Cup winners. I can remember Celtic getting beaten in 03, Liverpool losing to Seville, Man Ure winning it recently, Chelsea winning it twice and Fulham and Boro in a final each. However, case in point, this is only when an English team is involved.

I just donā€™t think that reaching a CL final, however, should be deemed a success. Iā€™d much rather win the UEFA Cup (in whatever guise) than reach a CL final only not to win it.

2 Likes

Yeah I kind of get this. Iā€™d rather lose a semi final than a final.
This was born out for me when we lost too fucking west Ham in 1980 after all them games with Liverpool. Just a bloody waste of time in the end.

3 Likes

You say that, but Sunderland in '73 :sob:

This actually gives me more incentive for today.

Fā€™ckin vile pond life scum.

Worth it in the end for me.:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I understand that, but, still as I said I donā€™t look at it that way.
Winning an actual european trophy, the UEFA league, sounds temptingā€¦ but still if someone offered me two options for the next season: winning thr UEFA league or getting to the CL final, Iā€™d go for the CL final.
The difference in quality, in the worldwide attention you get etc is just massive. We could like win the next 5 Europa leagues (see! I genuinely donā€™t even know the proper actual name of the competition! :arteta: ) and it would be like mehh. Sevilla won it like 3-4 times with Emery but nobody cares.
Itā€™s a great competition for teams like Slavia Prague, Dinamo Zagreb, even for Villarealā€¦ Iā€™m not even sure Roma are too hyped about it tbf.
Itā€™s a second tier competition.
It may sound a bit arrogant or whatever considering our league form in the last years, the european results alsoā€¦ But for a club with Arsenalā€™s financial background and everything, this trophy just doesnā€™t carry that much weight. Almost like seeing a super heavyweight boxer/UFC fighter competing in middle weight.
Yeah, Iā€™d love an european trophy, Iā€™m not dissmising the importsnce of the Europa/UEFA leagueā€¦ Cupā€¦ :pepe1: but the CL is just a whole another level.

3 Likes

The quality of the competition is somewhat overrated. PSG beat Dortmund, Atalanta and Leipzig last season to get to the final. I think with the CL is more the allure, no?

1 Like

And Real in the group stage.

Iā€™d love to win the EL but Iā€™m not going to brag about it to anyone apart from spurs fans, itā€™s effectively the League Cup to me.

2 Likes
1 Like

Good servant and top Arsenal man should never have been manager though.
He was a predominantly defensive coach. Bad move by the board this appointment.

1 Like
3 Likes