Arsenal Football Club History

Shocks me to this day that they went to the effort of making such a film about a club whose natural position is mid table, very surprised they managed to find enough interesting material to fill a feature length film.

6 Likes

I must confessโ€ฆ
Iโ€™ve not watched it yet , Iโ€™ve got the dvd and Iโ€™ve got a very special Belgium beer and challis glass waiting but the timing has got to be right !
Oh , what a night :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

7 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

What a night that was :beers::fire::grin:

5 Likes

7 Likes

Celebrations beating Spurs 2-1 in the league cup 34 years ago .
The seeds of a winning mentality were sowed.
COYG

4 Likes

Laurie Scott is the first player part of a WC squad for England in 1950. He doesnโ€™t play though.

1958 Jack Kelsey and captain Dave Bowen on the first Arsenal players to play in a world cup matches representing Wales.

Kenny Sansom and Graham Rix in 1982 become the first Arsenal players to play for England in a world cup.

Pat Jennings is the first player to represent Northern Ireland at a world cup in 1982.

Charlie Nicholas is the first Arsenal player to represent Scotland at a world cup in 1986.

David Oโ€™Leary becomes the first player to represent the Irish Republic at a world cup and the first Arsenal player to score a world cup goal in a penalty shoot out in 1990.

Marc Overmars becomes the first Arsenal player to score in open play with a goal against Mexico. Bergkamp also scores in this game in 1998.

Emanuel Petit becomes the first Arsenal player to score in a world cup final against Brazil in 1998.

4 Likes

2002 world cup must have been the first one when pretty much our entire starting 11 all featured for their national teams? :grin:

Also;

3 Likes

Pedant time! I donโ€™t think this should count as scoring a goal.

1 Like

I think your technically right as it doesnโ€™t get accredited in the record books.

48c

3 Likes

Unless itโ€™s VAR.

1 Like

10 years ago, and it still lives rent free in my head

4 Likes

We wouldnโ€™t have won anyway so I never cared that much.

1 Like

The word โ€œbackhanderโ€ could be mentioned when describing that refereeing decision.

1 Like
5 Likes
4 Likes

What a fascinating career. More so when you think of the times.

1 Like