Arsenal Football Club History

You disagree that we had a stadium to pay for? :thinking:

That’s true but we also have a billionaire owner who stood by and watched us struggle to win the PL title because we lacked a couple of decent players.

By not investing in the players we were desperate for, he not only cost us trophies, it has also led to the shambles we’re now in.

4 Likes

“Deadwood” “Injuries” and “Couple of good players’ short” sum up the Emirates Era. All management’s responsibility.

3 Likes

When, 2004?

We definitely didn’t need to dismantle the Invincibles team as quickly as we did for sure. Our policy of offering over 30s only 1 year deals was criminally stupid as well.

7 Likes

Yeah United buying 31 year old Sheringham and winning a treble with them 2 years later.

2 Likes

Unfortunately age caught up with quite a few of them in the next 2-3 years :weary:, with Bergkamp obviously retiring as well.

Yeah for sure. But I don’t think we needed to shift players as quickly as we did we essentially dismantled argument the single best team in English domestic football history in a matter of 2-3 years.

1 Like

To think that we lost Pires for the sake of an extra year on the one we were offering and now we hand out 3 year deals to fucking Wilian.

2 Likes

We lost quite a few more than capable squad members in the summer of 04 also. In the case of Parlour and Keown, you can’t bottle what they bring to a squad off the pitch, nevermind being able to step in when called upon. Kanu and Wilford etc.

2 Likes

Who would you’ve kept? Cole is the obvious one. Pires still played in the La Liga for a few more years didn’t he? Didn’t we let go of Wiltord when he was only 30? Ditching Lehmann for Almunia proved to not be a good decision. I think we were unfortunate on Reyes, he was at the right age to shepherd the new team that was going to be assembled.

Even if they weren’t at their peaks their experience and depth for the squad would of been handy.

1 Like

Played on until 2010 didn’t he? :weary: What were the reasons for the one year policy? I’m guessing to do with how tight the finances were meaning not wanting to risk money into players that might fall away over the next year

1 Like

Paddy? Although he faded in the couple of years after the sale didn’t he?

Lauren and Ljungberg had big injury problems. Sol was a shadow of his former self when let go although went on to have a bit of resurgence at Portsmouth.

1 Like

Didn’t Vieira want to leave? That’s why I didn’t say him.

I think not signing Carrick was the bigger mistake, especially as Wenger ditched what bought him to the dance and started operating with a 3 man midfield. Fabregas was always carrying a bum in midfield.

1 Like

Wenger called him in to tell him a bid had been accepted and it was on him if he wanted to go or not is my recollection :grin: Wenger thought his legs were going and obviously had Fabregas establishing himself.

1 Like

Heskey restoring parity at stoppage time in Late Jan, shit way to start off year 11 at high schools that was.

2 Likes

Wasn’t even a corner, mate.

Didn’t even come off Luzhny.

1 Like

This happened on that night too.

Henry absolutely tormented them.
1 Like

Geoblocked, but I think I remember Henry skinning either Henchoz or Carragher down that flank then doing the people’s eyebrow like the Rock for the cameras :joy:

1 Like

Geoblocked wtf? :rofl:
(I can see it in Bosnia but you can’t in the UK?!)

2 Likes