Arsenal Football Club History

Honest top three in order:

1. van Persie v Everton
  2. van Persie vs Spurs
  3. van Persie vs Liverpool

But the only one that still gets me semi-tumescent is Thierry vs Leeds so thats gonna have to be my personal number 1.

That Van Persis goal against Spurs is my favourite as well.

Wins the ball back, two left turns and then bang, goal out of fucking nowhere.

He was a cunt but his ability to create a goal out of nothing was superb.

Artetaā€™s goal against City was massive. Dominated them the whole game but couldnā€™t scoreā€¦ Even Van Persie missed a few good chances which was so strange for him that seasonā€¦ And then that moment, as soon Arteta got to that ball I thought heā€™ll score. One of the best moments in those years.

1 Like

Funny how that goal was thought to be the final nail in the coffin for Man Cityā€™s title charge.

That Man United bottle job was wonderful to watch. 8 points ahead with 4 games to play and still couldnā€™t win the league :joy::joy:

1 Like

7-3 versus Newcastle.

We were atrocious in defence but going forward we were fantastic in this game. Walcott was absolutely on fire and then he signed his contract :joy:

Really miss watching us score goals, havenā€™t done that since before Wenger left.

5 Likes

Weā€™ve been poor for years. Weaknesses everywhere at different times. Thereā€™s a natural regression and been happening for years. Donā€™t know why people keep longing backwards and kidding themselves.
Give it 2 years and your posting videoā€™s of last yearā€™s semi final and final.

6 Likes

We played brilliant stuff at times and made top 4 year on year. There was also a year where we got 89 points in 38 games, 2013 I think. Weā€™re mid table now and play dire football, the worst since the 90s if not 80s. Times were certainly better back then and with this squad Iā€™d imagine weā€™d be playing sexy football under Wenger, heā€™d be setting up the front line with

ā€¦Auba
Sakaā€¦Ozilā€¦Pepe

5 Likes

Yeah and the defence would be crap. We wouldnā€™t of gone anywhere near buying Partey and be even more overrun as the games moved on even more from a pressing point of view.
You wouldnā€™t be around the top 4 mark now trying to playing one touch football in 2020.

I donā€™t agree with any of this. The defense actually got worse after Wenger left. And you donā€™t think Guardiolaā€™s Barce wouldnā€™t be able to get top 4 in 2020 PL?

1 Like

Never ever been close too that comparison. The team regression has been over a period of years.
Really you remember how he got the boot from here in that last season.
He should really have been sacked during the season. Again Arsenal fucking about and not doing the necessary.

Bit odd seeing Vieira in this kit, but still, better times, eh?

Arsene looks suave as fuck

9 Likes

Those jerseys were fucking huge. I have an XL cos I was a chunkier gentleman back then but it is like a tent on me now.

1 Like

We went from a +24 xG margin to a negative the very next year after Arsene left. Our performances dipped massively. And now weā€™ve seen that the issues we have as a club, stuff that was blamed on Arsene, havenā€™t gotten better since he left.

Canā€™t look at this and not feel sadness at our steep decline over the last 14 years.

2 Likes

Surely we didnā€™t have a -xG in 18/19 ? I know it dropped substantially but I didnā€™t think it was negative that season ?

Totally different gravy

1 Like

You are right Aussie good call. We went from a +24 in Wengers final season, to a +7 in Emeryā€™s first full season. Then in 19/20 we were a -7. We are at a -.3 right now.

1 Like

None of that getting any of them near a title challenge.
The X fucking G on all them stats = equals no marks.

What was our XG GD in 15/16 and points tally ? From memory it was way higher than what we actually achieved :cry:.

Yup we had a +30 xG margin that year and were at the top of the table. So anyways itā€™s good to note that yeh xG isnā€™t gonna predict the title winners, we really dropped off that year and threw the title away. Still tho that type of xG shows the level of the performances. Iā€™d rather be having a team that can perform at that level than the absolute shit show we have now. Wenger would have us top 4 so easily this year.

1 Like