Arsenal Football Club History

That’s a coincidence.
They were also the first side to beat us at the Emirates.

Yep.

F’ckin Irons. 'Ammers.

Division 1 rubbish ploughing their trade in the top flight.

2 Likes

All bow for the :crown::crown::crown:

2 Likes

Hey guys, I’m first of all a big Arsenal fan!
I’m new in this forum and would like to hear your opinion!

I’m an intern at unisportstore.com and have made a Arsenal infographic because I would like to make some content for Arsenal fans. After all you are the receiver.
Hope it’s okay that I share this in this thread(please let me know if it should be in another thread),
because I would really like to get some feedback from you! Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

A very interesting question here, I am asking those who watched the team in 1998 and in those years. Months ago I stumbled upon a comment on Youtube from a United fan that made me quite intrigued and I wanted to write about it here but delayed it… It was about the Invincibles, how they weren’t THAT good and how Scoles once said that it wasn’t even the best Arsenal team he faced, it was actually the 1998 generation.
Could you really make a case there?

Thinking about it Wenger obviously inherited a great, experienced back line (including the GK), added a brilliant CM partnership, had prime Bergkamp up front supported by the pace of Overmars and Anelka. And prime Ray Parlour. It was an obviously tough, physically dominant team, strong defensively (stats show that), some said even THE best defence in Europe at that time.

The 98 team was good, but the 01/02 team was the best all round (of all of Wenger’s title winning teams)

ManUre players will often big up our 98 team as the best as it makes their treble of the following season look all the better.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know how that ginger cunt thinks, I know he’s bitter to some extent about the dominace of the Invincibles, but it got me quite interested never the less.

This is often an argument I hear and it aggravates me.

Rioch inherited that back line. So did Houston. Neither performed well in the league.

What Wenger did was the closest thing to supreme man-management I’ve ever seen. Adams, Bould, Winterburn, Dixon, Keown, Seaman. None of these chaps thought they’d win the league again. Adams, unfortunately, had his own problems.

Hats off to Wenger on this one.

4 Likes

2001/2002 was my favourite season as a fan, enjoyed it more than the invincible’s season.

2 Likes

My favourite game that season was at Anfield.

3 Likes

That period just before Christmas and Boxing Day against Chelsea got us going.

The funny thing about that season is the first few months were frustrating, as we were sitting around 4th or 5th and I felt we had the squad to win the title.

Losses were all at Highbury to Leeds, a bizarre 4-2 to Charlton and Newcastle if I remember correctly. The last blemish was throwing away points at home to Southampton in Feb, but then we went on to win our last 13 :heart_eyes:.

I thought we’d lost it after the 2nd game at home to the mighty Leeds :joy:

(The only team we didn’t beat all season, incidentally)

A streak that was a record until Man City came along with Sheik-in Stevens.

1 Like

Yeah we went behind early at Elland Road from memory and equalised with Pires either just before or after half time.

Henry’s dummy in the build up to that goal :heart_eyes:

The reason we were so good defensively was that the defence had played together for so long that it was probably the most organised and certainly the most experienced in Europe.
But Wenger then got Vieira and Petit to play in front of them which became an even stronger defensive unit.

Then upfront we had Overmars, Anelka, Ljungberg, Parlour and Bergkamp so it was a great team.

I still think it was not quite as good as the Invincibles team where we had Henry, Pires, Campbell, Gilberto, Cole and Lauren.

But both of those great sides were as good as any in Europe and could even be slightly better than what we have now under Arteta.

1 Like

:pepe1:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

On this day in 2016 :disappointed:

Dude no need to post that

6 Likes