Arsenal Financials

This is what happens when you have almost no investment for several seasons and you sell all your best players.

You’re left with very few valuable assets, no CL football, falling down the league and rival clubs overtaking you.

It’s amazing how badly we’ve been run since Kroenke took over.
It’s almost as if he doesn’t have a clue how to run a football club and employs people who know even less.

If we had been successful while running at a loss it wouldn’t be so bad but to be in the position we’re in, with no world class players at the club, is ridiculous.

2 Likes

The profitability of City (lol) and Liverpool are key here I think.

The Kroenkes appear to be playing the long game which is helpful. Obviously they could pull funding at any moment but if we get ourselves a good team that’s young enough and relatively functional and able to get CL a few times rather than never, we’ll be a lot better off and maybe seeing the payoff long term.

I think the days of automatic CL are probably gone for us now sadly, but if we can qualify say, 3 years out of 5 compared to the 0 years we seem to be doing right now then that’ll probably be enough to keep us stable.

2 Likes

Some effort posting all those tweets. I’d have just posted the first one and told people to click for the rest :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You actually end up a bit further behind on money not being shown by the other clubs too here.
Namely Liverpool for instance will have had more sponsorship deals and partners come on board worldwide and your club kit sales will multiply ten fold.

People really think Arsenal won’t fold if a big bid come in for Saka…

1 Like

I agree that a plan to go for young quality players and build a team rather than buying success is the right way to go,

But the initial lack of investment and lack of planning has meant we have gone more than a decade of running the club into the ground and now we’re having to repair all the seasons of complete negligence.

Kroenke is doing too little too late and we’re being caught up by a lot of rival clubs.

The figures are massively skewed by covid and the need to refinance our debt the way we did. We will be healthier with the reduced wage bill, European qualification

4 Likes

It’s true our wage bill has been reduced considerably but it’s still quite a hefty debt.

We really have to be playing in the CL or this debt will continue and we won’t be able to attract the top players we need.

I didn’t think there would be the massive spending some were talking about in the next window but it really does looks unlikely especially after the record amounts spent in the last window.

We might have some high earners off the wage bill but that isn’t going to pay the 100m for a top quality striker and CM we desperately need.

1 Like

Of course we will and we should. Need to utilise the market and produce our own players as best we can to make a profit.

Can’t get too attached and expect 10-15 more years of Saka here, we are not top tier anymore and players can outgrow us.

We need to work so that it doesn’t hold us back when they leave like it did 2010-2015.

1 Like

£37m on restructuring debt??

This is very very grim reading.
Even more so when. You consider we still need quite some investment in first team players.
Feels like we’re on very dangerous ground, trying to wing it.

how the f*ck did Spurs go above us in match day revenue?

Havent looked at all the slides, but the Arsenal Accounts show $5.1M which is circa £3.8M, whilst Spuds 2021 Accounts showed £1.9M, so not sure how they went above Arsenal?

Yeah there is a ton to sort through - I was looking at the Deloitte Money League slide, the column that says “match day”… it showed (tbf, this is 2019/2020):

AFC: 79
Spurs: 94

They also beat us on TV and Commercial revenue… maybe this is Europe?

thx a lot swederumble, reading that pissed me off greatly and I just ate good food so that includes the mitigating effect of being well fed.

we’re doing absolute dog shit economically despite the attempt every third tweet to stay positive here. the only thing we’re paying for and have been paying for for a while now is damage control for how we were run 10 years ago. oh well, enough of beating that dead horse, just win the next few games and start there.

1 Like

Big picture vis-a-vis other English clubs is this IMO:

-TV revenue is entirely a product of on-pitch success, especially being in CL and going far into knockouts. If we can regularly qualify for CL again, we can catch up there.

-Matchday revenue is weird due to Covid effects but we are still strong compared to other big English clubs, although going to be a bit behind Spurs with their new stadium and a bit behind United due to the size of Old Trafford.

-Commercial revenue has for a long time been our big Achilles’ heel due to a combination of incompetence and capped on-field success. But we have some big commercial deals that will turn over soon and hopefully be renegotiated at higher rates so there is some upside there. We won’t come close to catching either a global commercial giant like United or a doped up club like City on commercial, but we can close the gap and be somewhere similar to Chelsea if we have some on-field success and then do well in the next round of deals.

The bottom line is that we’ll never be United or City but there really isn’t any reason we can’t get pretty close to Chelsea or Liverpool on revenue. It all really flows in the end from success on the pitch.

1 Like

we are absolutely terrible for commercial revenue. For a club our size with all the supporters around the world we are disgustingly bad. We need to do far better than we are, who is in charge of this surely it can’t be THAT hard to get a lot more partners…this club is such a joke in this regard you have Manu with over 100 partners and we can barely scrape 20 :bellerin: .

I think we were hamstrung by poor LONG term commercial deals overseen by Gazidis (under the guise of security), I think our contracts after Gazidis are better and we will (and have looking at financials) seen growth in commercial deals (but we also know Raul wasn’t great, so may be a while yet)

Quite simply we’ve spunked a lot of money on players, let our previous ones go for free/cheap and also had the impact of Covid.

Wouldn’t make a meal out of these financials tbh, club don’t seem worried and keen to spend again. CL money will be important to get back to profit making but also smarter transfer business.

1 Like

We were originally very hamstrung by a series of long-term deals signed after the move to the Emirates, which quickly became laggards in value compared to other teams. We did this again with stadium naming rights around 2012 I believe, signing a 15 year extension.

But we did a smart thing around 2018 when negotiated new kit supplier and shirt sponsorship deals (two of the biggest sources of commercial revenue) in that we insisted on five year deals. So both will come up for renewal in two years, coming into effect after the 2023-24 season. We probably will start negotiations about them pretty soon if we haven’t already.

IF we can make the CL and continue to build some excitement around the club and the global economy has recovered a bit, we should be in good position to negotiate significant rises in both of those deals.

2 Likes

Thanks for going to the effort of posting all of those tweets, that must have taken a fair bit of time.

1 Like