Andrey Arshavin

I can remember being at the Hawthornes one season where Arshavin scored a delightful goal to cut the deficit to 2-1. We drew 2-2 in the end.

A real signing of intent was Arshavin.

4 Likes

He was my favourite player for an age. Loved everything about him.

4 Likes

Will never forget the Liverpool 4 - 4 Arshavin headline. While that game is now considered a classic, it just reminds you how incompetent we were in defense for so many years.

4 Likes

March 2011 I think Dave, I remember it as I was listening to it on the BBC whilst at work at Keon Park railway station.

Think Almunia had a howler that day and also howlers when we lost to them 3-2 at the Emirates in september 2010.

Fuck almunia.

3 Likes

Agreed. When you think he spent a spell as effectively our starting strikerā€¦ :facepalm:

Pulling this entirely out of my arse, but I always thought Wenger didnā€™t really rate him for some reason.

I rememenr being at a game and being absolutely furious at him for how little it appeared he cared. It could hav been a cup game against Leeds where Fabregas got a last minute pen to level but cant say for sure.

He was one of my favourite Arsenal players.

Just so exciting to watch and could just pull these moments of magic out of nowhere and such a likeable personality.

Never scored a bad goal for us, but as you say he wasnā€™t used properly.

Heā€™s 5 foot 4, heā€™s 5 foot 4, we got Arshavin fuck Adebayor.

5 Likes

He didnā€™t.
I guess from a managerā€™s perspective, they would love to know what a player would provide within a game, but Arshavin was very unpredictable & lazy.
But I also agree with SCRJJ that Arshavin is a central player and wasted in wings. His laziness is further amplified in wing position.

3 Likes

Arshavin played as a CAM after Cesc left and he was fading in and out of games and we were so weak defensively. He might of been past his best but I still think it was telling. He was a classic moments player really, he can be shit for 89 minutes but pull a bit out of magic out of nowhere. He was also quite old when we got him. Really should of got him a few years earlier.

1 Like

I think if weā€™d played him in a 2 with RvP weā€™d have gotten the best out of him for sure.

Ozil too but he bloody loved him.

1 Like

The only unpredictable thing about Ozil was whether he turned up.
You could plan around Ozil and create ingame instructions.
Arshavin was just way too gung hu imo.

I remember the big campaign amongst arsenal fans me included for him to play Cam, but when he did move there after a sub or after and injury he never looked as threatening, on the wing he had time and space and a usually short fullback 1v1. Centrally I remember he held onto the ball too long and got marked out of the game easily.

2 Likes
10 Likes

This guy was so good when I went to the Arsenal 5-0 Porto 2nd leg in 2010.

Legit feel he could have been one of the best players in the world if he got the best out of himself.

7 Likes

I thought that was his best perfomance in the Arsenal shirt.

1 Like

Whilst Cesc was away the meerkat came to play.

2 Likes

There was a recent interview with Arshavin this week:

On Arsenal under Mikel Arteta

Comparing with their performance in the English league, of course, itā€™s completely different in the Europa League. Arsenal were so strong [in the group stage]. We went through the group stage very easily, but now, of course, weā€™re expecting much stronger opposing teams.

I like some young players like [Bukayo] Saka, but you know, always, if you want to win, you have to talk about the team performance. Itā€™s more important. One player can of course decide one game, maybe two games, but to go all the way through, you must be strong as a team. This is a point for Mikel Arteta: to get everyone together.

ā€œWeā€ :heart:

Who was the best captain/joker: ā€œAt Zenit, I donā€™t know. At Zenit, I was the best at everythingā€

:joy: oh, Arshavin

9 Likes

Just revisited his stunning performance in the quarter final vs Holland in Euro 2008 where I believe he entered his absolute prime.

What a way to clinch a great victory

6 Likes

He was massive at that time. I thought at that time Iā€™d absolutely live to have him at Arsenal but thought thereā€™s no way weā€™re getting a player like him, thought he was off to Barca.

4 Likes