Andrey Arshavin

was Arshavin a flop for us? (31 goals in 145 games)

Nah he was a straight baller and was an absolute joy to watch. Wenger was going through a weird little period of mismanaging players and underachieving with the assets he had at his disposal. Arshavin fell victim to that.

4 Likes

Yep but I think that’s more because Wenger signed a second striker / #10 and played him as a winger more than Arshavin being a bad player for us. Arshavin had an abundance of talent but just didn’t show it enough.

1 Like

How many assists though?

I was very happy with Shava’s time with us, especially as he was played out of position

3 Likes

I remember when we brought him on for the final 10 mins in a game against Man Utd we were winning in and he came on and started pulling out slide tackles and interceptions out of nowhere haha

Arshavins performances nosedived sharply when he discovered what his tax bill was in England

After Russia didn’t qualify for the WC it’s like his soul died.

Was never the same since then.

4 Likes

He actually pulled pretty respectable numbers for us in all competitions for us in his last season.

His form nosedived but he was never as bad as people made him out to be and in fact I’d make the argument he’s one of our most underrated players of the last 15 years.

4 Likes

Just looked it up.

145 apps, 31 goals and 46 assists - 77 goal contributions in all comps in 145 games.

I’d say that’s pretty good considering he was played out of position and in the banter era.

4 Likes

Yeah his contribution in terms of raw numbers was always good. But God his work rate and just general anonymity in games was infuriating at times.

6 Likes

Oh yeah that’s undeniably, he was lazy as fuck. Pretty much never left the opponents final third haha

Bit of a luxury player in that sense

But man, that front line of RvP, Nasri, Arshavin and Fabregas was something else.

Just wish we’d had the defence and midfield to go with it.

3 Likes

He gave us some great moments though.

Loved Andrey

3 Likes

I just watched one of his compilation videos and the guy literally never scored a bad goal for us.

All of his goals were either with power and pace or finesse and technique

5 Likes

:wenger2:
Yes

1 Like

Been played out of position didn’t help him. He disappointed but I wouldn’t call him a outright flop. He produced some classic moments, that Liverpool game when he scored 4 goals, Barca goal and he scored agaisnt the big sides. You could tell he was a confidence player and if he had a manager like a Pep or Klopp as his manager, I think he would have produced better. Also been lazy didn’t help him and did effect his last season or so with us.

Not a Arsenal legend, maybe a cult figure didn’t quite live up to the hype but had a few bright moments that will live on.

I could never take to him for this reason. I remember being at a game, I’m certain it was the cup game against Leeds that we only drew due to a last minute Fabregas peno and it was like he was disgusted he’d been picked such was his disinterest and apathy in the game. I fucking lost it at him that day. I’m sure he heard me from my top tier seat. :grin:

1 Like

Talented player, but the laziest mofo i’ve ever seen in an Arsenal shirt during his last season or so.

His hit at Anfield the season after his 4 goal haul was quality as well.

1 Like

Arshavin was flashes of brilliance and all stats to be honest.
Granted he was a joy to watch but his workrate, his commitment to team play was severely lacking.

He wasn’t mismanaged, it’s just too level football requires more than what he offered.
It only bothers us because alternatives were not that great.

Another thing we forget Arshavin signed for us when he was at the end of his peak. By the time third season rolled in, he was pretty much shot.

Just for those 4 goals against Loserpool - what a banter memory :rofl:

1 Like