Aaron Ramsdale (1)

No way. He’s 85 years old! I realize having an Argentine international in the squad is nice but dude isn’t mobile enough for me.

2 Likes

Also a good 'keeper.

Our mistake was not tying Leno down for longer after we sold Martinez.

They were both good goalies. We ought to have given an ultimatum along the lines of “which of you wants to stay? If so, sign this 5 year deal”

We’ve sold Emi and Leno for less than we bought Ramsdale for :facepalm:

1 Like

I still rate Ramsdale but he is kind of dumb sometimes, very great shotstopper and great reflexes

Leno is a good goalkeeper but his lack of ability with the ball at his feet was limiting. He’s not as bad as De Gea in that aspect, but you could definitely sense a lack of comfort when the ball came his way.

4 Likes

Leno was a keeper from another era. Football wanted shot stoppers and that was what he was. It is what it is.

1 Like

Not to mention his general inability to command his area properly and his organisation skills were lacking.

Whether you rate Ramsdale or not he’s an upgrade on Leno and his ability with the ball at his feet is huge for our tactical approach. When you build from the back, play a high line and aim to dominate possession you absolutely need a goalkeeper with good distribution.

Ramsdale in my eyes is a better goalkeeper in almost every single way even with the mini heart attacks he gives us. Better reflexes, better command, better distribution, more dominant aerially, better shot stopper.

1 Like

Conversely, I think he’s a better shot stopper than Ramsdale.

Depends what you need in a keeper nowadays though, I suppose

1 Like

Sad to see he never had tge chance to redeem himself after we removed the shit defenders.

1 Like

Yep, it’s just short term memory syndrome. Leno was arguably our player of the season in 19/20. He was crap in 20/21, but wasn’t a shit 'keeper by any stretch of the imagination.

It’s no longer an option for us now, but if we did have Leno in goal, in no way, shape or form would I think we were fielding a weaker team than if Ramsdale was in goal.

1 Like

Ramsdale is far better than Leno. Not only is he better with his feet, he commands the area. Leno used to flap, get roughed up and represented our soft core to a tee.

Did anyone call him shit?

No

Not exact wording, but it was how people describe him.
Cant pass, weak in air, error prone…
Sound like Ward to me but not A German international

1 Like

If you don’t want people to bring up the weaknesses they perceive in Leno stop bringing him up. He’s gone. Ramsdale is likable. Happy days.

Huh?

He is definitely not as weak as you guys described.
Anyway, like @DavidHillier said, it was just a matter of choice by Arteta.

1 Like

It was a spelling mistake. Sorry you couldn’t figure it out. Sorted now.

Apology not needed.

I just prefer it when people can speel properly.

Did he play for Fulham today? I know Fulham had a shut-out against the Black Country Combat Club but wasn’t sure who was between the sticks…

On the bench today

1 Like