Aaron Ramsdale (1)

For Leicester’s goal, Saliba has to get a head on it otherwise the ball ends up at Vardy’s feet and it’s a goal anyway. Better that Saliba scores the og than Vardy getting on the scoresheet anyway.

Paul Robinson:

4 Likes

Yeah especially for FPL

1 Like

People who know football and play football, definitely understand it was not Saliba’s fault.
Just unlucky for him.

Fuck me what happened to this guy for Leicester’s second goal? Truly awful Almunia goalkeeping.

I was so disappointed with the way he got beaten on the 2nd goal, every time I see it on replay it just gets worse and worse.

1 Like

Do you not give Maddison any credit for the finish?

It always looks bad when a shot goes in through a keeper’s legs but it was a pretty well placed effort.

1 Like

In real time I have Mad lots of credit, but the more I watched it the more I thought Ramsdale simply has to be doing better.

You know Zinchenko was disappointing on this goal.
It was a poor goal all round. Tbf @Joshua is right giving Maddison some credit too.

Yeah we’ve massively improved but we still have a few boneheaded mistakes in the team.

Not as many as we used too, mind you, but enough that it’s a problem that needs to be solved for.

2 Likes

Fair point on Arsecast today by Arseblog.
Not much a keeper can do apart from closing his legs in split seconds, which would have mostly resulted in a deflection to the goal.

It was an excellent finish.

Whether Maddison should have space for the goal is a different discussion.

Im not going to hold this one against him, but a rule for GKs is not to be beaten at your near post.
After seeing him on All or Nothing, he wont take that goal well and will fight to make sure it doesnt happen again.

Rule Number 1 I was taught as a keeper was to NEVER let the ball go through your legs.

It’s the most rookie mistake for a keeper.

You’re suppose to keep your legs together and then have your arms low and to the sides to protect the space outside your body.

Isn’t he doing that?

I think the problem is Ramsdale anticipated a near post shot before the shot arrived at him and he moved his legs

Dude his legs are literally wide open. You could drive a lorry through them.

His legs should be less than a ball’s width apart. His shins should be saving that shot all day long, it was straight at him.

5 Likes

It’s not even bad defending either tbh, Gabriel has forced him out wide towards the byline and is making him shoot from a tight angle as the cross isn’t on due to us having like 3-4 defenders defending the area immediately in front of goal.

Ramsdale should be saving that all day long imo

1 Like

Didn’t take long for this tweet to bite him back :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I don’t have the video ready right now but I believe Xhaka should be tracking Maddison but doesn’t.

The other stuff doesn’t matter if Ramsdale doesn’t make a very poor attempt at a save (from a technical point of view).

Maddison is at a pretty tight angle, and essentially just hits it straight at Ramsdale who lets it go through his legs at his near post.

Ramsdale failed Goalkeeping 101 in this case.

2 Likes

Xhaka could put more pressure on Maddison, the closest defender on him is Gabriel at ± 3 meters.

Doesn’t change the fact that Ramsdale could/should do better, but it helps more pressure on Maddison would be helpful. Fine margins matter.

I don’t disagree, in pretty much every goalkeeping situation, the keeper won’t be responsible for how the opposition got into shooting position, he will just be responsible for his reaction/response to the shot.

Over the length of a full game, as a keeper you’re likely going to face a few shots and in this case Ramsdale failed to do his part.

1 Like