Yves Bissouma

Nailed it. We have bigger fish to fry, namely our lack of creativity although I suspect that’s a feature, not a bug, of Arteta’s system.

I don’t want to go another season with Xhaka. Attacking midfielder and centre midfielder and 1a and 1b as far as I’m concerned. Need to get both.

1 Like

I’m not sure I buy into this other needs narrative when I have to watch Elneny, Xhaka and Ceballios week in week out.

3 Likes

What do people want creativity wise though? Is Odegaard good enough? If not who do people want as I can’t see us getting Odegaard plus another.

If we continue to create from the flanks do we need an attacking right back?

If we buy Bissouma, loan Odegaard for another season and keep ESR and Partey fit,- then our creativity will be lot better going into next season.

Players like Elneny and Xhaka hold us back massively from creating anything. The sooner we replace them with forward thinking and more technically gifted players the better. Bissouma is a serious step up from both at a nice price point.

3 Likes

£30m? Nice?

That’s decent for Yves Saint Laurent not Yves Bissouma. I’m just not sold on him being that much more dynamic than Xhaka and Arteta’s going to start Xhaka every week anyway.

1 Like

I’d definitely agree it represents a step up but I can’t help but shake the feeling he is very much benefitting from the structure of the system in place. If you remove him from said system and put him at Arsenal, it could be difficult for him to adjust.

That’s not to say I’d be mad if we signed him, I just want a different profile of player I think. I favour Aouar, and not just because he’s North African but because I believe in his ability and his suitability to Arteta (who is likely to be here next year)

2 Likes

I feel like we are in desperate need of both, Bissouma would replace Elneny, Xhaka more often and Aouar or Buendia would probably be in place of Odegaard, should that be unobtainable.

I feel like Bissouma wouldn’t take any time to adapt at all what with him knowing the league. If we were to watch 40 games next season of Partey, Biss, Ode I can’t help but see how we wouldn’t be a better outfit.

I wouldn’t say no to Aouar or Buendia I just think the second Odegaard loan and £30m on Yves is quite pragmatic as we need bodies all throughout the first 11 this summer. Full backs, centre back, striker maybe, we have a long shopping list.

2 Likes

Any reservations about some of the hit jobs on Aouar in the press? Lack of focus, issues with the Lyon coach? We know Arteta can’t handle big personalities so I worry about that a bit.

On the whole I’d much rather Aouar than Bissouma. I’d play a 2-5-3 with all the attackers if I could. Just the type of football I like.

1 Like

I’ve not watched bissouma.

What about him makes you guys think he will help our creative problems in the middle and be an improvement to our current options?

Not trying to make a point. Asking for genuine info.

1 Like

People seem to have him pegged at a pure destroyer, which for some reason I can’t understand. He’s very far from a Coquelin or Bakyoko type. If you watch him play, or even a match highlights of his touches he’s very mobile and forward thinking. He’s your typical hybrid CM, great ball carrier, nice technical ability and solid range of passing. His defensive work ethic is fantastic too but he offers so much more.

He’s only 24 as well, he’s the type of profile of player that isn’t too common in the game right now so I’d be very keen to see him in our colours.

As for your question he’s not a CAM or anything so he’s not going to solve our creative woes over night, but he’s the type of player that would help the team tick over much better, our midfield is a black hole of creativity these days and Partey beside Bissouma would be a fantastic heartbeat to allow our forward attacking players to influence a game more. Sum of the parts type situation.

1 Like

He’s more of an engine like Kante than an Ozil. But he also has very good close control and can drive the ball box to box while always looking to pass forward. All of that would improve our transitions, which are painfully slow.

2 Likes

In highlights he might look like he does all this but he doesn’t do it on a consistent basis lol, if we bought Bissouma he’d come here and look a lot like Elneny tbh…

3 Likes

I’m not convinced you’ve ever watch him in your life brother, he’s not even that type of midfielder.

1 Like

He does lots of passing sideways and backwards, he’s got good close control and can dribble but he doesn’t ever drive Brighton forward through carrying or passing tbh. I watch my boy Potter a lot my dood :+1::+1:

1 Like

I just had a nightmarish thought, what if dumbfuck sees Xhaka LB as a long term option.

1 Like

If that’s the case I’m not sure how you’re so far off the mark about what type of player he is. I know you love your nerdlinger stats so here’s a decent article about his profile. Echoes my statements about him being s combative B2B more than pure anchor that people seem to believe. Also he contributes to Brighton’s creative side with progressive dribbling and expansive passing. He isn’t your typical donkey-brained pure CDM at all. His natural position offers so much more.

Tldr- he good.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t want Bissouma as much as some people do but BW is clearly off the mark about his strengths and weaknesses.

2 Likes

Breaking the lines sucks, Maxi_Gooner used to write for them. They are just opinions from cunts like us.

All football literature sucks, it serves a simple purpose though to show the obvious difference between a box to box and a CDM with the stats backing up any eye test.

Saying that I put no bearing on stats or analysis at all, I’ve watched the player and I know exactly what type of talent he is.

1 Like