Would you take 2nd if offered now?

Do we have a chance at winning the league? 90% would say no.

Is there a difference between finishing 2nd, 3rd, or 4th? Materially…no

3 Likes

The only difference 2nd to 4th position will make is who we finish above or below of. I think most fans will be happy if we secure Champions League football next season and finish above Spurs and maybe United.

I wouldn’t be overly thrilled if we finish 4th given our start and relative starts of other teams BUT the result is the same.

1 Like

If there is even 0.5 % chance of winning the league you go for it. This pussy ass mentality is killing the club.

5 Likes

There’s no way we’re going to be challenging for the title at the end of this season so I would consider fourth and above spurs acceptable and anything above that would be a bonus.

There’s a big difference in the joy of following a season where we finish 2nd with 80 points and 4th with 69 points.

If it was only about the place at the end there’s no point watching the games.

Finishing above Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, United for the first time in forever is a big deal to me. 2nd is potentially a big signal that things are changing, scraping 4th, not so much.

10 Likes

Yeah they’re fair points.

Nice.

3 Likes

This is a good point and in reality we have no choice but to ride things out and follow along.

I’m still hoping we put in a strong challenge and, in an ideal world, win the title. On the flipside, I’d be happy with 4th without the risk of ending up lower in the table than that.

With all that said, now that we are almost a third of the way in, I’m more confident of finishing above Spurs than I was before the season when this thread was created.

3 Likes

15/16 but then all the way back to 03/04 I’d have thought. Would be a big deal.

1 Like

15/16 finishing above all of them + City and still not winning the league :henry:

1 Like

I would snap off your entire torso, ribs and offal and all, in one huge bite where I’ve unhinged my jaw like an anaconda to do so, to get 4th.

We’re essentially staring down the barrel of relegation after 1 loss and 1 draw in the league and our first loss in the EL after 4 straight wins so obviously we all need to be panicking and going straight to knee jerk reactions right now.

Personally, I think sacking Edu and Arteta would a reasonable thing to do and maybe we can hire a plane to fly over the emirates to show our displeasure with the incompetent American owners who have driven us into the ground and obscurity.

Slow down. Buy me a drink first.

2 Likes

People accuse of Arsenal players for being bottlers but look at Arsenal fans bottling it at the first hurdle the season provides.

We have hardly any stake in the whole race yet we are the biggest cowards.

To trade a potentially amazing season with an easy 4th now just shows that.
We won’t ever win the PL with such inferior mentality among fans.

Dont forget the beheading of Rob Holding before kick off at sunday. Arteta OUT

We are missing Zinchenko and Elneny quite badly these past few games. They would have given us a lot of quality and stability, and freshness. It sucks that we haven’t been able to depend on them in this highly congested period.

It is mad how 1 draw in the league and a defeat in the Europa has changed the confidence for some of you guys.

Really, we should have been 2 or 3 nil up in that first half against Southampton before it went tits up. The ref was a cunt too. They scored off literally their only proper chance in the entire game. We were unlucky rather than desperately poor.

The lack of rest is an issue. The forward line in particular feels a bit creaky to me with all the minutes they’re having to play.

A signing to bolster the front 3 is absolutely imperative. It would be literal negligence to ignore that situation in January.

It was negligence to ignore it in the summer tbh, most people thought we were a quality attacking player and quality central midfielder short then. So nothing has really changed.

1 Like

Tbh fans mentality has nothing to do with winning the premier league.

It’s all about the quality of the manager, players and the mentality of the players that matters.

1 Like

I see the kneejerk thread has a new name. :ginger:

1 Like

Opinion hasn’t changed from when we were top after 4, top after 9.

Would take top 4 however it comes, that’s the result that matters. As it’s not a real choice, gonna enjoy the ride and hope we keep up the title challenge.