Work/life balance

I’m so glad you’ve got plenty of work to fall back on. Definitely takes the edge off something like this knowing you’ll be comfortable regardless.

I loathe work places and how they treat people. I loathe how they never truly care for the well being of people they employ. I got signed off recently from work for stress due to the overwhelming workload I’m having to deal with (it’s been 18 months of us dealing with 3x our usual work load, and in the end I just couldn’t handle it). And on Friday I got an email advising that they are investigating serious concerns about the quality of my work. Funny enough, last month I had a performance review and scored very highly across the board and was praised for being producing the highest quality of work.

As soon as I got myself 3 weeks off work for stress (and also physical sickness), they’ve mysteriously found serious concerns with my work.

It’s pretty much why I never like to go above and beyond for an employer because they never truly appreciate it and you’re always one mistake away or one instance of bothering someone in senior management from being in serious trouble with your workplace.

Keep your head up brother, enjoy your time out from work to do some things you enjoy snd haven’t been able to prioritise and get straight back into work when you feel mentally and physically rejuvenated. So long as you’ve got money to pay the bills, work can wait for now.

And don’t ever let this drop. Chase this as far as you can. I work in the legal profession, unfortunately not employment law so I can’t help, but just reading your stuff I can fully believe you’ve got something worth pursuing.

10 Likes

Thanks man and hope you’re okay too!!

Totally agree with everything you’ve said there. People never notice when you do too or go over and above but are always quick to notice when there’s a mistake or something missing.

I think a lot of the way companies treat people is down to the fact they think employees are stupid and not intelligent enough to persue things or know their rights, I think a lot of it is also the ego of people higher up the chain thinking employees would never have the courage to challenge the or such big decisions.

2 Likes

These cases summarise why I’ll work my hardest when working but won’t let work interfere with my personal life. I’ve been lucky enough that ive been able to easily leave any job that’s affected my work/life balance

7 Likes

Also one piece of advice that I can truly give is never work to the point of exhaustion for your work, especially as your health truly is wealth - it is everything. Auto-immune response to stress (doing x3 times my workload) led to double kidney failure and now dialysis. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard, bro please take care of yourself and future stressful situations.

4 Likes

@BergkampsLoveChild definitely review your employment contract. You should be entitled to a certain notice period depending on how long you’ve worked there (wrongful dismissal - this is a contractual right). But if the contract wording is tight, then get advice on unfair dismissal (statutory right).

Both are avenues to explore for sure. I’m relieved to hear that your skills are in high demand, but make these cunts accountable.

A strongly worded legal letter setting out their breach of contract and/or grounds for unfair dismissal should get them to take you seriously. Fucking cunts. Good luck bro.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to see how your involvement with this club has turned out so badly.

My experience with golf clubs is that the management committees and general managers are usually exceptionally incompetent and arrogant. There’s also about 20 percent of members who are impolite, selfish dicks. I’ve left multiple golf clubs before because I couldn’t stand the management. I now drive an hour each way when I golf just to play at a decent place where they don’t drive me mad as my local clubs are now so bad and over crowded where getting a tee time is very difficult, especially in the winter. So think it’s important you try not to take it personally as it’s just down to their general management incompetence which you can’t change. It’s also a real shame that none of them were man enough to give you a proper explanation but again it looks like this spineless behaviour sums them up well.

As Sol mentions it’s worth checking your employment contract to ensure you’ve had your notice paid properly.

Regarding a tribunal claim for wrongful dismissal it depends on whether your employment was terminated before 2 years of employment were completed. If less than 2 years it’s hard to make a claim unless you can show the dismissal was genuinely related to a protected characteristic eg disability, race, sexual orientation etc.

Any award would also take account of your ability to get an equally paid similar job quickly as that would affect your damages. Given your ability to get work very quickly this may make the exercise more stress than it’s worth so you may be better putting it down to experience and moving on with your life positively rather than being dragged down in time consuming litigation for limited gain although that’s a personal choice.

You can however leave a detailed review on websites like Glassdoor so that those who follow you are warned about these spineless, incompetent dick heads. It’s a good way to out poor employers like this, it’s done in an hour and you can get on with enjoying your work life again after this horrible experience.

1 Like

So I’ve been doing a bit of work for a company that produces programmes for various sports. Snooker being the main one. And from that somehow someone from Man United got my details and asked me if I fancied doing some stuff for their website on a freelance basis. So I did. And then they were like “oh could you do the minute by minute for this match”. I was getting paid and could do it all remotely, so said yes.

Then they kept asking me to do more and more. Most of it was just editing, so I never had to praise them or anything. But it was constant. And the minute by minute stuff is obviously weekends and evenings, which I said I’d never do.

Now this week I got a job offer to work on their social media team. But it’s not completely remote. I’d have to move to Manchester. It’s a great job. Really good pay. And I’d get match tickets and access to footballers.

But I’d have to move to Manchester. A lot of the work will be outside office hours. And I fucking hate Man United :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

You should take it. Good brand to have on your resume.

3 Likes

Assuming you stick with this job for 2-3 years, I don’t see them improving to an extent that they become relevant again; so you would have a fun time at the expense of their misery.

If it was during their prime, I would understand the disgust to work for them.

1 Like

It does sound like a massive opportunity, it’s not like in England the weather is really good anywhere so swapping down south for Manchester shouldn’t make much difference.

To be honest, the working for them part is not my main issue. It’s more the work/life thing. I have always had weekends off. I have made a point of it. And also, it’s a little scary moving to the other side of the country, though I do know people up there. But also, I have my own house here, and I have just got my bathroom done, lol.

Your house ain’t gonna up and leave, simply rent it out.

1 Like

It’s not that simple. I live in a random town in Hertfordshire. And it’s a big ish house. Not sure who the target market would be to rent it. My mum owns half of it as well because she bought my ex out.

Also, I like my house. I like where I live. I’m close to London, but also far enough away.

Doesn’t sound like something you want or looked for. Say no.

Although if you do take it make sure to post all the sorry messages here first.

Wait for Chelsea’s offer.

3 Likes

If I took it and resigned, I’d do something similar to what happened on the Arsenal site “your basket is as empty as Spurs’ trophy cabinet”

1 Like

Well that would be better, because then I could stay living where I do.

Unless you are being hilarious and making the Chelsea fan joke?

Oh, I am all for remote work and having a good work-life balance.

I shouldn’t go there but apologies. Don’t you think you need a change in your life considering how rough it has been for you?
Moving to Manchester & having a change in scenery for a couple of years might be good for you.

1 Like

She’d do it for free

1 Like

On the flip side of it, I’ve mostly worked weekends through my life and actually don’t mind it. Means you get two days of during the week and everything is quieter because everybody is in work rather than the usual cluster fuck of Saturdays and Sundays.
I freelance myself now and if my mates make plans I’ll normally just take a weekend off.

2 Likes