Willian

By that point, people’s mind were already made up about his signing being a failure.

I’m sure he didn’t walk away completely empty handed but he will have probably still opted to be paid less than he could have been. I wonder how much he took up front and if that made quitting after a year easier.

I don’t know why more players don’t do it in similar scenarios. It must be miserable being in the situation he ended up in here. How much you’re getting paid surely doesn’t comfort you that much when you’re already very wealthy.

2 Likes

Bale did it for half a decade :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 Likes

I don’t think anyone was giving him a hard time about leaving. He was entitled to ride out that contract with full payment and like you said, he almost certainly took a percentage of what he was owed in order to leave.

His signing was such an obvious bad decision from the jump. It didn’t make any sense in terms of his age, wage, position, former club and throwing in the fact that Arsenal overshot the market for no reason, he would have had to average a goal involvement per match to win people over.

Also, big lol at him being such a big Bolsonaro supporter and then having to essentially flee the country. What a dummy.

The empty stadiums made him play like shit? Nah. I don’t buy it. He was the wrong signing at the wrong time. It happens.

Seeing him in that marble kit makes me wonder, how many times did we actually wear that? It’s a great shirt but I have like zero recollection of us playing in it.

1 Like

100 different excuses since he left, pretty sure he wasn’t so kind in his words about Mikel and Arsenal back then and it seems he’s just trying to cool it down a bit.

Wish reporters wouldn’t keep asking him, I don’t think he’s coming out to make these statements out of nowhere but we all know he was a flop for us and did us a favour by leaving. Now let him go play for Fulham ffs.

1 Like

He’s actually been good at Fulham. He stunk out the joint when he was here. The whole thing was so strange. Well, we’ve moved on and he’s moved on.

2 Likes

Regardless of how shit he was here, I do appreciate he didn’t sit on his big fat contract.

Don’t think many of us realized it when we signed him but he genuinely came in as a starter here as we saw him immediately replace Pepe in the side, hence being signed on relatively big money at his age.

It didn’t work out, he wasn’t happy and he bounced. Pretty positive we didn’t end up paying him out of his contract. We let him go on free just like we got him the year before.

1 Like

Me too. He can take his fascist loving self elsewhere. He was total garbage for us. Not even “oh didums it didn’t work out”, he was awful. And it’s not even a question of decline because he was fucking tracking back for Fulham tonight. He came here to get one last fat contract and ended up embarrassing himself.

Did he though? Pretty positive Inter Miami wanted him at the time and he would’ve earned similar money.

At the end of the day, we’ve had pricks at the club who genuinely sat on their contract and held the club hostage for years.

Could’ve very easily told the club it wasn’t his problem it didn’t work out and get some more money off of us before he left. Maybe go out on a loan like a prick.

He wanted to stay in London.

Maybe he was training hard, but he played like absolute dogshit. Maybe he trained too hard.

Definitely in the conversation for worst signing of the decade.

1 Like

Lokonga wants a word.

Nonsense.

2 Likes

Or the Pepe Trophy as it’s known. :grinning:

2 Likes

Not even close lol

3 Likes

Who have we signed since 2020 who was worse in terms of money?