Where are you going on holiday?

Yeah the come downs are what stopped me partying. The older I got, the worse they got.

Yeah I kind of wish I hadnā€™t waited until 32 to try it but oh well, better late than never!

My mistake was also to have a very active Monday, my mates just went and curled up into bed but I went hiking in Somerset with my girlfriends parents haha

You did it right. I would always feel better if I got up and did something. Staying in bed, in my experience, prolongs it.

1 Like

When it comes to comedowns, the middle ground is to get up and do something rather than staying in bed, but for me hiking would absolutely not be that thing :joy:

This was like ten years plus ago now though, more back towards uni days. I used to suffer back then so god only knows what an evening boshing md would do to me these days lol

3 Likes

I need a holiday out of this planet. Can somebody fund my trip please

Yeah not sure I would go hiking. Thatā€™s hardcore :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be fair if Iā€™d known how a come down works, I wouldnā€™t have gone hiking either lol

Total noob move

Off to Frederiksberg tomorrow. Evening flight. Canā€™t wait and looks like good weather for the outdoor wedding on Sunday.

@Cristo
Quick question: Hotel says we get a TV with chromecast. Was wondering if the Arsenal match will be on regular TV or a subscription channel. Would love to watch it if we are back the hotel then.

1 Like

The game will most likely (unfortunately) be on a subscription channel called Viaplay or TV3 Max.

However, there is a superb and very quaint little pub with 26 different beer taps called Frederik VI on Frederiksberg Alle that will be showing the game. Itā€™s my local and my favourite boozer in Copenhagen.

Iā€™d recommend watching it there although sometimes they donā€™t put the commentary on which is annoying (but then again the commentary would be in Danish so no big deal I guess haha)

Edit: also the nice thing about Frederik VI is that it is like 100 metres from Frederiksberg Alle tube stop. So if you arenā€™t staying near Frederiksberg Alle, you can get the tube from Frederiksberg Centre or Forum or whatever stop your closest too and get there in a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Thanks. Thatā€™s only a 16 minute walk from our hotel. Is the food good? Childā€™s menu? Maybe can convince my wife if itā€™s a good place for dinner too! :grin:

Iā€™d love to hear the commentary in Danish. Love listening to it in different languages.

The food is good but nothing spectacular - quite hearty traditional Danish food. I do eat there but itā€™s not a culinary experience the likes of which Copenhagen has gotten famous for haha

1 Like

Skipped it. But yeah, some amazing food in the city. Stayed at the Falkoner and the breakfast was amazing! Had lunch at TorvehallerneKBH at PalƦo, the burger was divine. Iā€™m not Paleo, but wanted something protein heavy. Then some yummy ice cream too. Every bit of food we had was delicious. My son loves the hot dog pastries of all things.

The wedding venue was amazing with the kids too. Made them fish and chips and just basic ice cream (they didnā€™t want the fancy studs). We had a different wine with each part of the meal. I donā€™t drink often and never that much, so still recovering. I donā€™t get a headache but more of a body migraine. So worth it though.

Really wish we couldā€™ve had more time there. Itā€™s such a chill city. It was Pride too, which was cool. Only realised when we saw a sea of rainbow flags walking in front of the hotel at breakfast. The entire city celebrated. My son loves to dance and was dancing when we came out of a cafe and 2 ladies where like, ā€˜Go Aidan! Go Aidan! Go Aidan!ā€™. He looked at us :thinking:and was like, ā€˜how do they know my name?ā€™. He was wearing his Arsenal shirt with his name on it. He enjoyed the street celebrations so much.

We spent most of our time with friends catching up as we hadnā€™t seen them in 3 years or more. So we are planning a trip back to see the city properly. None of us wanted to come home. Might have to stay more central next time too. But this hotel was perfect for the wedding and getting back quick once he was too exhausted.

2 Likes

Oh good Iā€™m so glad to hear you had a great time!

The weather has been nice as well so you really got to experience Copenhagen from its best side!!

Very happy to hear you want to go back, I feel like Copenhagen is one of those cities like Lisbon that has so much to offer and is an awesome experience but lives in the shadow of larger, more famous cities like Paris, London, Madrid etc.

You can easily spend a whole week in Copenhagen and not run out of things to see and do, especially if youā€™re willing to go 30-45 minutes outside of the centre.

Glad you enjoyed the food as well! Copenhagen has worked hard on its rep as a culinary capital and there are some incredible restaurants around, but itā€™s really starting to pay off now.

How did you find it cost-wise compared to London/Amsterdam? Did you get to go on the Metro - what did you think about it? And what did you think about getting around the city?

Also what was your favourite thing that you got to do (obviously aware that you spent more time with old friends)?

1 Like

More expensive. So much more. I kept the Mastercard currency converter open. Thankfully my bank doesnā€™t charge any fees. Definitely more expensive than London and Amsterdam.

Didnā€™t get on the metro we walked everywhere. We really didnā€™t get to do anything, but enjoyed walking everywhere and soaking up the atmosphere. Love that there are proper playgrounds just about everywhere too. Meant we could stop and let our son play a bit and grab something to drink to break up the walks. It was so nice to be there for Pride and enjoyed the street celebrations. Just enjoyed sitting by the water as well. Wanted to do a boat tour but just ran out of time. We arrived late, had late lunch plans next day, then the wedding and then brunch before leaving. So it was hard to book anything. So walking it was to try and take all the sites and sounds in! It was actually one of the most relaxing holidays Iā€™ve had in a while.

We are already planning to head back with my in-laws. Maybe for a week during the last half-term of the year. Hopefully weather will be good again. Although part of me wants to go around Christmas. I love all things Christmas, especially outdoor ice rinks and Christmas markets.

So far, in terms of just general atmosphere and beauty, Copenhagen is up there with Amsterdam (my favourite European city). London and Paris are great, but overhyped for me. Now just need to organise trips to Stockholm, Oslo and Reykjavik. And Lapland too.

2 Likes

We really did. And got a bit of kick out of being able understand some Danish with so many similarities to Dutch. :laughing:

1 Like

Haha when I was a kid I lived in Luxembourg and a lot of the tv channels were Dutch, and whenever Iā€™d watch cartoons on Saturday mornings theyā€™d be in English with Dutch cartoons and it blew my mind how similar written Dutch is to Danish - they just use different letters for the same sounds.

I always recommend going to Copenhagen in summer or at Christmas.

Copenhagen in the summer is the best city in the world. Cruising around on your bike in the sunshine, drinking beers in the parks, going for a swim in the harbour and canals - nothing beats it.

Copenhagen in Christmas is super special as well. Christmas markers all over the place, Tivoli decorated up to the nines, everyone out doing their Christmas shopping and mulled wine etc.

Iā€™d highly recommend it during Christmas if you get the chance - itā€™s a real vibe.

October/early November and Jan, Feb and March are pretty meh to be honest. Itā€™s dark and rainy and wonā€™t give a great impression.

1 Like

Not a holiday as such, but went to a festival this weekend in Leicestershire. Perfect weather for it. Didnā€™t actually take that many photos. Enjoy the moment and all that. And the ones I did take were mainly of all the really cool dogs :sweat_smile:

Most photos of me I look like Iā€™ve had about 300 drinks (I probably had) like this one. I can apparently sleep standing up.

This is my fave photo of me from the weekend though. Think it catches my best side :smile:

I think I had a good time.

11 Likes

Fuck I miss this game in the last pic, used to play it all the time growing up.

Donā€™t often see it over here, always though it was a yank game but then the festival looks pretty American themed.

Yeah, it was a country music and Americana festival

1 Like

Has anyone been to Montenegro?

Me and about 11 uni friends are looking to book a villa out there for a week as itā€™s a really nice, affordable alternative to France/Portugal/Croatia etc.

Looks beautiful from what Iā€™ve seen online but would love some OA recommendations if anyone has any.