What was the last film you watched?

southern comfort is a drink

Didnā€™t the film precede the drink?

dunno but i do know it is also a drink haha, my mum used to love it.

1 Like

Probably not.

Southern Comfort (often abbreviated SoCo) is an American whiskey liqueur with fruit and spice accents. The brand was originally created by bartender Martin Wilkes Heron in New Orleans in 1874, and originally used whiskey as the base spirit.

I always thought it was just a Whiskey.

Blimey yeah the drinkā€™s older lol.

Watch the film Shammy. Itā€™s kinda like Deliverance meets The Warriors.

Sold!

1 Like

The True History of the Kelly Gang.

Incredible on all fronts. 8.5/10.

A must see - same grit Kurzel brought with Macbeth, but with a better more palatable script.

1 Like

Witness for the Prosecution (1957)

A man named Leonard Vole, a former WWII airman, is accused of murdering a lonely, rather well off widow whom he befriended after a chance meeting in a shop window. He is put in touch with an aging barrister not long released from hospital following a heart attack, one of the top defence lawyers in the country, to defend him.

Watched this before, once, a few years ago and wrote a lengthy post about it on the old site and had a good chat with someone about it but cannot remember the user. Ha.

(SPOILERS BELOW IN THE BLUR GIVE AWAY ENTIRE ENDING)

Itā€™s a superb film and a really great story - I remember being shocked at one or two of the twists in the story - especially the scene where Marlene Dietrichā€™s character was in that get-up pretending to be that Cockney woman in the train station (I knew something was odd but never would have guessed that it was Marlene Dietrich under there. :smiley: ) and the ending also, I had no idea of the story going in but was surprised when it was revealed that he was in fact the murderer. Having been on a bit of a Hitchcock film, including ā€œThe Paradine Caseā€ this has that Hitchcockian feel to it.

What are some good Courtroom films? I genuinely feel like this is probably the best one Iā€™ve seen of that type.

Special tip of the hat to Charles Laughton who just commands all the attention when on screen.

@Cristo we never got your opinion on 1917 my man.

1 Like

I suspect youā€™ve already seen this one

1 Like

Obviously youā€™ve seen 12 Angry Men right?

2 Likes

Joe Pesci :ok_hand:
Marisa Tomei :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Given how many Jimmy Stewart films Iā€™ve seen itā€™s surprising that I havenā€™t. Itā€™s been on my watchlist a while though.

Iā€™m going to excuse myself from forgetting about this by saying that Iā€™m not gonna count it as one because 99% (not much of an exaggeration) is set in a Jurorā€™s room rather than a courtroom. :joy:

Saw that years ago but donā€™t really remember much about it.

2 Likes

Watched Karate Kid 1 & 2 for the first time today & yesterday and the endings are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad. :joy:

ā€œHe won the fightā€¦ FIN.ā€

3 has such a low rating I probably wonā€™t bother.

Is @Cristo a massive fraud? Promised us an exciting Cristo at the Movies article every Monday but nothing weeks later.

• Yes
  • Also Yes

0 voters

Nobody disses Karate Kid 1. Itā€™s a masterpiece

Youā€™ve made a powerful enemy (as Mr Burns said to a vending machine)

5 Likes

4 Likes

I mean, look at that @Persona.

Isnā€™t that just beautifully crafted?

ā€œPut him in a body bag!ā€ maniacal laughter

2 Likes

'71

Really good film, very gritty and dark. About a young British soldier who gets left behind by his unit on the streets of Belfast. I donā€™t know a great deal about the Northern Ireland conflict, or the ā€œTroublesā€ as I now understand it is also called. The film isnā€™t particularly educational but it provoked me to read a bit more about the conflict.

Had a google around and see that ā€œThe Crying Gameā€ is also highly recommended by various people. I saw ā€œIn the Name of the Fatherā€ many years ago but might also watch that again at some point.

1 Like

'71 is a fantastic film.

If you liked that, watch Bloody Sunday with James Nesbitt. Very good film, too