What was the last film you watched?

Generally speaking I’d agree… but it’s got Toni Collette so I’d probably give it a go.

Just catched it on TV…
A great reminder of that epic greek 2004 journey… Going back to it, damn that was truly something. Remembering how literally the whole football world was just bewildered by it.

They played defensive and negative, how a lot of teams play nowadays… But they did if fucking perfectly. Absolutely deserved to win every single game they won, you just couldn’t go through them. If I can remember correctly they barely allowed any decent chances against them throughout the whole tournament. Just insane.
Had some really nice midfielders I really liked, first of all Karagounis, thought he was a poor man’s Nedved… Basinas, Giannakopoulos…

On hand I hated the way they played, but on the other absolutely admired how good they were at it and what they managed to achieve in the end.

3 Likes

Always believed there criticism was unjust, it was more a failing by better teams not doing the job.

2 Likes

Awesome, didn’t know this existed will definitely give it a look!! Love a fairytale football story.

Obviously I’m biased and what not, but the Netflix movie “Summer of 92” is also a great film about the Danish Euro win.

There’s a few things that happened behind the scenes that most international fans don’t know about that made the tournament even more special, not least the fact that Denmark’s top scoring striker of the tournament had to miss the Semi Final against the Dutch because his daughter was sick with terminal cancer. Watching the semi-final together from her hospital bed the daughter makes him go back to play in the final and he scores the winning goal. Some serious Hollywood shit you wouldn’t believe happens in real life except for the fact it did happen.

If you have 90 minutes, I highly recommend giving Summer of 92 on Netflix!

1 Like

Is that still on Netflix now mate?

It is!

It’s actually a very lighthearted fun movie, but just with some emotional scenes of course.

1 Like

A Quiet Place II

Enjoyed it!

I’m looking forward to a Quiet Place 3 (OA after Ukraine win 3-1 on Saturday night)

2 Likes

The tomorrow war 8/10
A good solid enjoyable film perfect for a Sunday evening. Not enough J.K.Simmons tho.
An Yvonne strahovski :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: still looks as good as the day she turned up on chuck.

4 Likes

Just watched it, Although it’s demo is teenagers it was solid throughout and enjoyable, plot was just OK though

I’d give it a 6.5

Anyway it’s great to see Simmons get more exposure, he played a white supremacist so well on Oz I though he’d be typecast

1 Like

God I love that show. His performance was nothing short of pure excellence

2 Likes

Yeah special mention for Lee Tergesen too

He keeps popping on in various TV roles I’m seeing, thought he was very good in
the Purge

2 Likes

Haha I literally just watched the first season of it recently and when I saw who the dude unmask I was like damn that’s my boy Beecher. Unfortunately his story got a little stupid by the end of the show but he’s got such a great screen presence. I actually feel like he should have had a better career of the back of his work in Oz.

I really feel like Oz was just too way ahead of its time for its own good. Doesn’t get the respect and admiration it deserves.

2 Likes

Just watched Jaws…the perfect 4th July film! and one of the best of all time IMO

1 Like

Watching Black Widow right now. Solid 3/10.

Far and away the worst Marvel movie, what a sack of shit.

David Harbour and Florence Pugh were the only redeeming factors, they were both great.

Even the CGI was god awful.

1 Like

Marvel’s comic adaptions have been a dead franchise for a very long time. What started out as something amazing for comic book fans turned into dog shit really fucking quick.

We must be so the point now where there are more bad Marvel films than good ones. Hell we probably passed that point about 4 years ago when characters like Dr Strange were getting a look in.

Well personally I’ve loved pretty much every marvel movie except Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, and now Black Widow as well.

I’ve really enjoyed the series on Disney+ too, and think it’s been interesting to see characters like GotG, Dr. Strange and Black Panther into the universe.

I’m buzzing for Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, not to mention Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield. PLUS Thor: Love and Thunder with Taiki Waititi back as director as well as Thor bro-ing it up with Peter Quill in GOTG 3.

I just think Black Widow was really lazy and bad and about 6 years too late to the party.

Wow man never knew you were such a fan. I really disagree though lol, outside the two Guardians films, Thor 3 and Cap 2 I think the entire franchise is dog shit lol. I think Disney owning the rights is the final nail in the coffin.

It had some substance at the start when Whedon was directing Avengers but now it doesn’t even feel like a comic book adaption just pure popcorn, seat filling summer garbage.

Same thing going on with DC with absolute shite like Wonder Woman 2. I’m just hopeful that HBO’s Justice League dark has some integrity because they clearly aren’t making these films for comic book fans anymore.

2 Likes

Idk man. A lot of comic books are the literary equivalent of summer garbage. They’re fun at the moment but don’t really hold up to any sort of scrutiny. (DC’s Dark Knights Metal is a good example. The Batman Who Laughs is a cool design but not much of what goes on makes sense.)

Nah I have to disagree there are loads of examples of great comics making great film adaptions if the love and attention to detail is there. I’m not saying they’re all fine literature- they aren’t- but they’re a medium of their own and that should mean something.

The reality is the love just isn’t there half the time and this cinematic Marvelverse is simply a summer block buster chain now because Hollywood is out of ideas. Hell it seems out of ideas within its own franchise.

You are correct that the multiverse and alternate realities are very difficult to translate to cinema but within DC we find some of the most interesting characters like Constantine’s story. Infact he recently had an animated movie based on Darseid’s exploits and it was literally amazing. The recent comedic Harley Quinn show does the same and it’s bagged full of fun fan service. So why can’t we see this in the film world.

With Synder’s Justice League it was time to put the money into a live adaption of the Flashpoint Paradox but in reality what we’ve got are cheap spin offs like the WW films. Aquaman was a very good stand alone project though.

Also take Watchman for example a story that’s fantastic on paper and in cinema and it came out ten years ago or more. These projects can be translated well the reality is no one cares about the source material anymore or even the characters they’ve familiarised themselves with their entire lives. It’s all about filling the cinemas with kids who barely even know what they’re watching. Jeremy Renner and Haile Steinfeld shoot arrows at people, coming summer 2021… bleh