What was the last book you read?

Stewart Farqhuar!

:joy:

It’s not about his life it’s a book about his football career

Although in true David Hillier style I presume you just wanted to post a shite pun as usual lol

It’s not a pun :roll_eyes:

I’ve read both of them. You reading the first one I take it? That’s definitely the better one. The second one felt a bit like scraping the barrel for more content due to the success of the first. Still a fun read though, I like that Crouch is quite self-deprecating.

2 Likes

@Calum what was the name of that book you had. The one about the bloke visiting grounds in Europe.
Was it good.?

1 Like

Yeah Stroller was great. Really enjoyed it not your standard football book more like a travel book haha. Every chapter is a country and it’s all a perfect size. Thoroughly recommend it mate if you are wanting to buy it.

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Verdict-Novel-Nick-Stone/dp/1681773449

Pretty good legal thriller.

Thanks Cal. Getting a few quid tomorrow. Will get it ordered. Have a good one mate.

2 Likes

Journeyman Ben Smith.
Having not made the grade after being at Arsenal as a schoolboy Smith pursues his career in the lower Leagues of English football.
A mixture of League and conference clubs it’s an interesting and sometimes funny look and also highlights how difficult a career in the game can be.
The amount of house changes and uncertainty on contracts leaves you with a lot of respect for these players.
Also the future after playing comes into full focus as well. Enjoyed this a lot and would recommend if you want a different football read.

1 Like

The Enemy within. Seumas Milne
The secret war against the miners. Deals with allegations brought against the NUM hierarchy of siphoning off soviet and Libyan money for personal gain during the dispute. The lengths the government went using MI5, television and press to smear the leadership names.
Every allegation was eventually proved a lie but the damage was done.
Highlights the weaknesses of Kinnock and Willis at the head of the TUC. Because of these cowards Thatcher prevailed with her agenda and we have kids going hungry 37 years later. Great read and important social document. 10/10

1 Like

Did you get that football book you asked me about stroller?

1 Like

Waiting on it mate. Just about to start The road to Lisbon. Novel about Celtic European cup win from a fans perspective. :wink:

1 Like

Just got this in the post today. Looking forward to reading it. The podcast version of it is very good.

3 Likes

He was also recently on the Quickly Kevin 90s football podcast talking a lot about this book and his childhood, early career etc. Funnily enough I’d been meaning to recommend it to you last week but it totally slipped my mind, but I thought you’d enjoy it.

1 Like

Every game he talks about gets the full MNF analysis treatment like it would on the actual tv show.

Just starting the 89 title win chapter. Love it!

I just finished Battle Ground. Great end to this particular story arc.

The Marcone reveal was huge. Always thought he had to be more than what he appeared to be. Assume the next books will focus on Justine / Thomas.

Really consistent series. This and Sword of Truth have been the best in terms of longevity (RIP Terry Goodkind)

1 Like

Lisbon 67. A novel about Celtic famous European cup win. Written from a fans perspective as a road trip to Portugal.
Also written from Jock Stein perspective in a secondary guise like Clough was in the Damned United.
Loved it from start to finish.

3 Likes

Journeymen by Mark Turley.
Boxing book about the lads who never make the grade.
Take fights at a moments notice and fight on a regular basis.
Eye opener this as a lot of these guys are decent boxers who basically just go in with newbies and told to take them around 6 rounds or so of Boxing but basically never get a decision. Explains how the system works. End up with huge respect for these men.

@CliftonGeraldi think you would like it mate .

3 Likes

Finished this today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the fact he chose clubs that were mid table or bottom of the Leagues a lot of the time. Brought home how important European places are as a source of income in smaller Leagues. Very enjoyable book overall. As much about travel as football but blends really well.

1 Like

I had this on audiobook. Think it would be up your street @Stroller. How he got away with some of the stuff I don’t know…

1 Like