What was the last book you read?

Bought it few weeks ago mate. Looking forward to it.:wink:

1 Like

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

Anyone read it ? Started it on Sunday and finished it last night. What a brilliant book :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Reading the reviews Dolly Parton read it and rated it. @Phoebica will now.:wink:

Haha Iā€™ve already read it. I didnā€™t rate it as highly as most people, but itā€™s a nice book.

1 Like

Lord of the flies

I can see why itā€™s a text used in education. A good read and captivating towards the final third (unlike Arsenal)

If I had one gripe, itā€™s hard to know about the imagery Golding is trying to create. Very difficult to picture it in your head unless youā€™ve been on a desert island yourself or watched numerous repeats of Dr No.

3 Likes

What I loved about that book like 1984 they command your complete concentration. Feel like youā€™ve attained something when you read books like that.

3 Likes

Definitely. It was an easier read than Bleak House but you still couldnā€™t half read the book and half watch football.

1984 is a top book as well. I enjoyed reading the part where the main character is reading from a book and the excerpts are written out in the story.

2 Likes

Fahrenheit 451 - the book burning book. :slight_smile:

and ā€œOliver VIIā€ a short Hungarian novel about a young King of a fictional Central European nation who desperately doesnā€™t actually want to be King or rich and so stages a coup against himself so he go into hiding in Italy and get a taste of a normal life - which turns into him becoming a down-and-out con artist with his trusted former staff.

1 Like

@Phoebica you seen there is book about a murderous love island (haters will say this is an improvement) :joy:

2 Likes

Is there a dwarf and a man with 3 nipples on that murderous island?

Definitely reading that. Looks like the trashy stuff I love, lol.

1 Like

@SRCJJ seen this on Amazon not sure if it would be something youā€™d be interested in mate

Having worked on the show since its inception Jonathan Grade gives a first-hand account of this iconic production. Golazzo: The Football Italia Years takes a nostalgic look back with some stories from behind the scenes in the days when Italian football ruled the world.

2 Likes

Position of trust Andy Woodward.
Not a pleasant read but a good one on by the man who brought child sex abuse into prominence by going public on his exploitation by Barry Bennell.
Ive seen him interviewed and heard some of his history. It didnā€™t prepare me for these revelations of a ten year old kid for six years.
Messed his whole life up and still struggling but trying his best. Good man and would recommend if you have the interest like I know some did watch the recent BBC documentary.

2 Likes

Lockdown at home has eaten my reading time but this one is keeping me glued on.

@Cristo @Castiel @Stroller @SRCJJ @Forever @Echoes Think youā€™ll like this, an insight into the darks of commodity trading

6 Likes

I swear youā€™d have the best selection of books on a bookshelf if you done a zoom conference.

1 Like

Haha theyā€™re all Kindle :laughing: I had one gifted to me on my 24th birthday and itā€™s been all ebooks since then!

1 Like

Giving the First Law trilogy another read through.

I recently finished the latest two books in Joe Abercrombieā€™s new trilogy ā€œAge of Madnessā€ and it gave me a massive urge to immerse myself in the story of Logen Ninefingers and Glockta once more. Two of the very finest POV characters Iā€™ve ever had the pleasure of reading. Iā€™d almost go as far as to say Logen is my favourite fantasy character of all time. When he becomes the Bloody Nine and goes into berserk mode, utterly compelling reading in a rather sadistic way.

The First Law trilogy is a modern great in fantasy storytelling. Iā€™m enjoying it even more the second time around. Highly, highly recommend anything from the First Law world.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard very good things about Joe Abercrombie and his different series but have just never gotten around to reading them.

Where would you recommend starting with him?

1 Like

The starting point is the original First Law trilogy. The Blade Itself is the very first book. After that trilogy thereā€™s 3 standalone novels and also a further book containing short stories. Then itā€™s the latest Age of Madness trilogy.

You could technically read any of the standalone novels in any order without reading the original trilogy, but some of the context would be lost. The Heroes is amazing and might be a better taster of what the writing style is like. I found this which gives you a flavour:

1 Like

I canā€™t believe someone put those excerpts beside the cover picture as though they represent strong writing lol.

1 Like