What was the last book you read?

What’s your approach when reading such behemoth fantasy novels such as this one? My wife schooled me to skim read fantasy novels, which I’ve tried, and it certainly helps when you trod through dialogue that doesn’t seem to progress much. Like when a character is describing their bed time arrangements or when they go off on a tangent on a dream they had. Something along those lines.

However, I’ve found that I’ve got into that groove of reading and missed subtle changes in plot here and there and it really throws me off.

1 Like

I tend to do the same tbh, and I’ll miss little bits because I skim read 3 paragraphs about the lamprey was cooked and prepared and the puff pastry crimped and then WHAM! I’ve somehow managed to miss the fact they were eating the antagonists sons for dinner rather than lamprey.

So I stopped doing that and actually just read all of it for the most part.

@Sol yeah very clear to me that there’s a lot of big characters; not seen much character development as I’m still only on the first book but I’m really looking forward to the second now. Think I’m going to space them out and read other books in between each book to make the series last haha

1 Like

I’m sure each Malazan book has dramatis personae section at the beginning, as well as a glossary at the end with explanations of places / concepts etc. I found myself referring to that quite a bit when I forgot who some bloke was, or when I didn’t understand what the fuck people were talking about. I read the books back to back, so I got really engrossed and stopped needing that after a while. If you’re going to be taking breaks then you’ll find it more difficult to remember things.

@YJYUX @Cristo I also skim once I’m familiar with the author’s writing - you can spot when the next few paragraphs are going to be a pointless monologue, or an insanely detailed description of some hills.

2 Likes

Fulham as fuck you posh bastard :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Just finished reading The Stranger by Albert Camus. Got into Camus after reading The Myth of Sisyphus, and must say, I’m gonna search his other books too. Great read.

Just bought this. Coming next week. Can’t wait to read it. COYG

1 Like

Nearly one of the biggest bottle jobs to the greatest moments ever. You’ll love it.

2 Likes

Film by the same author was great last year aswell so can see this being just as good but more in depth with it being a book. :raised_hands:

Thought it was over after the 0-1 home defeat to Derby.

1 Like

True arsenal style. Is there any other way?!

Just ordered this beauty.

In depth review incoming when im done reading.

6 Likes

That and the womble draw hade on the verge of not going to Anfield.
Literally offered my ticket away coming out.

Wait…you were there :fearful:

Main stand. Want me to sign your copy.

1 Like

So wait, I’ve been chatting shit on this forum for the last 2 and a half years or so, and I’ve been talking to a guy “who was there”!

You’re to me what an American sees when he meets a soldier who put the flag up on Iwo Jima.

1 Like

Finished The Testaments recently, thought it was excellent.

I tried putting it in words one time on here and failed.

1 Like

There are so many questions, man

Don’t even know where to begin. This is what I feel like right now:

2 Likes

FIDEL &CHE Simon Reid_ Henry.

A book based on the reveloutionary friendship that developed between the two men.
Factually so well researched and goes into the personal lives and how both men influenced each others outlook.
Not politically critical from any perspective just a factual account of two of the most fascinating people in one of the most fascinating periods in history imo.
Getting slotted right next to the motorcycle diaries this one.

Reading a clockwork orange currently

1 Like