What was the last book you read?

Will stick that one on my list. Never read a Tim Marshall book that I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed tbh.

Just started reading this today

2 Likes

Apparently Bill Gates is a big fan of this book. Haven’t had the time to read it yet, but it’s definitely on my list.

1 Like

If you like that sort of stuff I would recommend

One of my most favourite reads last year!

3 Likes

Just started this

And?

Yeah seems pretty ok thus far. Literally only 2 chapters in.

I learnt that the first man to supposedly surgically remove his own bladder stone was apparently this Dutch fella (Jan de Doot).

Here he is holding it

There’s an otherwise pretty insightful and knowledgeable insight into the JFK murder and why certain bulletholes and medical procedures contributed to reasons for certain conspiracies.

1 Like

Finished all of the Dresden Files books. Fantastic. There have been 15 published books and believe 5 more to be made in the series. Its been 5 years since the last one so now I’m in waiting mode (can add this to Kingkiller Chronicles, Stormlight Archive, Witness trilogy, Kharkanas trilogy etc.)

I prefer reading fantasy fiction that brings in popular mythology. This series has it in spades. The last published book brought in Hades as well as Odin, archangels, fallen angels, evil bigfoot, Native American demigod shapeshifters and a host of other crazy shit.

2 Likes

Just bought this for £6. Will start it tomorrow.

Looking forward to it :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Just started Margaret Atwood’s The Testaments, the long awaited follow up to The Handmaid’s Tale. Pre-ordered it ages ago and had it just turn up the other morning when I was working at home, such a pleasant surprise.

1 Like

I thought she got imprisoned at the end?

I think the ending is more ambiguous than that, but even if she was imprisoned, that wouldn’t make a sequel unfeasible. But that’s largely irrelevant because barring any surprises, the book isn’t about, and doesn’t feature, Offred. It is about Gilead though.

Spoilers motherfuckers

It’s a thirty four year old novel motherfucker.

Luke’s dad is Darth Vader, whoops spoilers, soz everyone who hasn’t had the chance to watch it yet :smile:

1 Like

Didn’t realise it was that old! Spoil away

Santa Claus isn’t real

2 Likes

I wondered why he stopped coming, thought I’d been very bad

Got my copy this morning. :slight_smile:

Read the first book decades ago as part of my Eng Lit GCSE, and it was my first taste of dystopian fiction, and I was immediately hooked on that genre. I’ve been hyped about the sequel for years.

I know what I’ll be doing this weekend.

1 Like
2 Likes

@Sol

I’m about 2/3 the way through Gardens of the Moon and I’m loving it. Proper balls-to-the-wall cities floating in the sky medieval high fantasy.

I can definitely see the criticisms of it. The first book is pretty dense and it does read like a really long prologue to the whole series while also reading like the 4 or 5th book in a series.

That said though only inexperienced fantasy pussy virgins would let that put them off. Maybe I’m such a seasoned fantasy reading Chad-bro I’m able to assume my way to most of the back story without needing to read it all first.

I’m getting to some really good bits and I’m really enjoying it now, looking forward to the rest of the series.

I fucking hate the cover art on the books though, some serious basic bitch fantasy cover art and it makes embarrassed to be seen with the boom in public haha

2 Likes

Yeah, the first book just launches you straight into a major battle which is confusing as fuck. The magic system is also very unusual, and again just throws you right into all this shit about warrens and all their fantastical names without much explanation. All the different factions, countries and characters (plus their allegiances) takes a while to wrap your head around.

The first few chapters of GotM make a whole lot more sense (and you realise the significance) once you’ve finished the whole series.

The second book in the series is arguably the best, Deadhouse Gates. Coltaine my fucking guy.

The sheer number of incredible characters is staggering. I can’t think of a fantasy series I’ve read where I quibble over my favourite 5 characters, and it changes with the wind. If you look at people’s lists online, they are so varied.

Best world-building in any series ever written. I envy you for having all of it still ahead of you :+1:

2 Likes