What was the last book you read?

The new book of Harry Potter :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome along mate! :slight_smile:

Great book(s).

Welcome along mate!

Have you read it yet? @JakeyBoy @SRCJJ

Not just yet I actually intend to get into it ASAP. Itā€™s probably my next read Iā€™d say. You read?

Yes, and I think itā€™s as brilliant as the whole trilogy. Couldnā€™t stop reading. Very well researched as always and it just feels so ā€œrealā€.

Do you have any advice on similar authors or books?

Don Winslow himself praised ā€œThe Chainā€ by Adrian McKinty but it will be released in July. So I might give his other books a shot first (Sean Duffy).

The Chain https://www.amazon.de/dp/031653126X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vAASCb2773Z0D

Not the last book I read but as I was going through my kindle just now, I saw this that I read last year and thought a few here would like itā€¦ you know, cos I think about you all so much!

Might be a tiny bit dated but definitely worth a read.

Speculation online is that the secret author is Danny Murphy/Dave Kitson/Nicky Shorey.

Fever pitch (again). Anyone else feel disappointed when the author misses the cup final replay to accept his writing award.
Totally understand why but still always feels wrong to me.

Quite an easy read and you learn a few fun things too. Things like why we always get colds but animals donā€™t, and why animals can survive on one diet but we require a varied, balanced diet to keep healthy etc.

1 Like

Autobiography on Ronnie Drew lead singer of The Dubliners. Really iconic bloke who has the respect of all top Irish bands and singers. Really solid bloke who done so much with the likes of Christy Moore and The Cheiftans to keep Irish music relevant.
Deserves his place at that top table with all the great play writers and literacy legends for his services to Irish culture.

Rereading His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.

Banging series, so much depth to them and eminently readable.

I first read them when I was 10-11 and reading them as a 29 year old there are some really profound themes surrounding religion and science that in my mind really donā€™t make these books ā€œYoung adultā€ or whatever

2 Likes

Got this on my to read list, just trying to finish the book Iā€™m reading at the moment. Strange The Dreamer. Pretty good so far but I get easily distracted, so for what is a relatively short novel, itā€™s taking me ages to complete it.

Yes! Fucking incredible books. Read em at fifteen so picked up on some of those themes in quite a juvenile way, but I know Iā€™d get so much out of them now.

1 Like

Surprisingly quick read as well! Iā€™d recommend picking them up if you have the time, I think Subtle Knife is my favourite but Amber Spyglass has been very good too so far

1 Like

Be careful what you wish for. Simon Jordan
Meant to read this for a while and glad I finally have.
Jordan after making his fortune in the mobile phone industry bought Crystal Palace at 36. By 42 he lost the lot
Deals with a lot of subjects in running a club players, managers ,agents and lifts the lid on a hell of a lot.
Fascinating read and different to most football books you will read.
Heā€™s a bit marmite but a bloke Iā€™ve grown to like as the years go on.
Would recommend it quite highly.

White line fever. Lemmy autobiography.
30 years on the road with motorhead after being in Hawkwind and being a roadie for Hendrix. Burning caravans and pushing them in a lake in Finland. Passing out after 3 successive blow jobs and general debauched tales of Rock n Roll.
Theres more talented blokes in rock than Lemmy, but theres no more honest.

2 Likes

Stuck on my reading list!

1 Like

Iā€™m smashing through the Dresden Files. Interesting modern take on the fantasy genre. Itā€™s basically Supernatural the TV show in book form. Very enjoyable, lighter read compared to the heavier epics

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just started re-reading a book I first read in the 1970s. Itā€™s Clifford D. Simakā€™s science fiction classic ā€œWay Station.ā€ It won the 1964 Hugo Award for best novel. Set in present day (the early 1960s), itā€™s about a Civil War veteran who for about 100 years has been running an interplanetary way station on Earth.

1 Like

Divided _ living in a world of walls by Tim Marshall
Good read about walls and fortifications all around the world now and historically and reasons and impact on people.
Really good style of writing Marshall and keeps everything relevant and articulates well without showing bias.

1 Like