What are you watching?

Put your fucking phone down and give it the attention it deserves you fucking heathen.

But seriously, youre gonna have to, cos I think you’re definitely gonna be one of the people who needs to pay attention to tune into the dialect, a lot of people find it to be a struggle for a fair portion of the first season.

3 Likes

Excellent now Cristo is public enemy number one on here when it comes to the cult of The Wire. I’m finally freeee

5 Likes

You’re third on the list, Phoebica can get in the bin now too for what she said earlier.

3 Likes

Is your favourite film The Shawshank Redemption?

2 Likes

There’s some significant changes to the price of the brick in season 4. I’ll leave it there.

3 Likes

If it was I wouldn’t admit it because its a total basic bitch answer.

Bobby…I can’t man…

1 Like

Yeah tbf pretty early on I was like who the fuck is the deputy and why is he so angry at McNulty for talking to that random judge about Avon Barksdale and I’m basically already lost with all these characters and politics 2 episodes in.

I’m sure I’ll make it up I’ll just make a concerted effort to put my phone down.

I’ll join you in this particular piece of cuntitude and make an addition too. It should absolutely not be binged on a first time watch for similar reasons you go on to outline.

2 Likes

I’m thinking 3-4 episodes a week max is the way to do it like I did with the sopranos

You see why I have my guarded stance man, any thing that’s legit the greatest show ever shouldn’t need all these fucking guide lines to be enjoyed.

1 Like

Its not just The Wire lol, Id also tell someone to put their phone down watching Sopranos or Oz. You can’t fully appreciate any great show with any level of complexity to it if you’re on your fucking phone lol

We’re just trying to help the man get the most out of the show. I’ve only watched it the once too, earlier this year. I’m sure now I could plough through it a bit easier now with one watch under my belt. But it’s fucking heavy. Some episodes take you a minute to recover from.

I’m a fiend for doing that these days too, it’s just modern culture. I now mark the greatness of a show or film by whether or not it makes me put my phone away.

1 Like

Just bought the box set for The Wire so going to give that a go. I did watch the first series but did find it a bit slow…going to watch again from the start and will see if I can make it to the end.

Given how many of you have mentioned The Wire and The Sopranos…has anyone watched Gangs of London? Series 2 is due to start on Sky later this year. IMO it is up there with the best TV shows and has some of the best action in a TV series ever. In fact, better than most films. It was created, in part, by Gareth Evans, a Welsh Writer/Director who made two of the best action films of all time…The Raid, and The Raid 2. If you haven’t watched these, and are a fan of action films, you need to check these out.

Gangs of London is a short series. I’ve almost finished rewatching the first series, which is just 9 episodes. Series 2 looks absolutely epic. It was released during Covid, so went under the radar, but it is such a good series, it deserves to be watched and enjoyed! Trailer below if anyone interested. Can’t recommend it enough…

5 Likes

When people ask me what my favourite film is I usually say One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest and although it is, I don’t always mention my other favourites like, Caddyshack, Slapshot or Spinal Tap.

It’s like when people ask who you’d most like to meet from history.
Most people say Nelson Mandela or Barack Obama, when really they’d prefer Jennifer Anniston or Homer Simpson. :grinning:

1 Like

Wait, 2 of these are still alive.

(Homer died by season 10)

1 Like

The Shield looks to be free on Amazon Prime. Might give that a go seeing the love for it and especially since it’s being talked up to the same level as Justified which was a great rec by @SRCJJ I believe.

Slowly getting through The Boys. I don’t know what it is about this show - I like it, the premise and the characters but the sheer amount of gore and overall dread to the series doesn’t give me the binge feel. I almost feel like I need to decompress after watching a proxy episode haha.

1 Like

Anytime I see Justified mentioned I love it. One of my top 5 favourite shows ever, not a single poor even average season

1 Like