What are you watching?

The World Matchplay.

There’s only one word for that- magic darts!

Absolutely, the opener of season two is a two part big budget feast for the senses. Would be a good time to start watching together.

It’s geniunely just such a refreshing take on the super hero genre, which let’s be honest is starting to feel burnt out these days even for the biggest fans.

It’s hard to explain but this doesn’t even really feel like a super hero story because it’s so whackey at times.

1 Like

Did you like Peacemaker?

Yeh I thought Peacemaker was genuinely hilarious which was weird because I kind of hated Suicide Squad 2. Well not hated but a lot of what makes Peacemaker so funny just doesn’t land in the film but it does in the show. The length of the show allowed for a character study, and Cena to actually explain the way he is. Great supporting cast too with Vigilante and Eagle often stealing the show

I loved the satirical look at at PC culture and the sound track is just unbelievable. Gunn really knows how to blend music into his narrative. It’s just a fun show in general

This was genuinely one of my favourite scenes in the entire show lol

Fork lmao

1 Like

Started watching The Wire having never made it past the second episode 10 years ago.

Look forward to binging it @Castiel @JakeyBoy hope you boys are proud

4 Likes

I don’t think Castiel is a fan mate lol

2 Likes

I don’t have the mental energy to wage this battle this week. I’ll stay grounded and say that while I appreciate it’s got a lot going for it I simply think it’s over hyped. I did love season 2 but the rest of it got away from me and I think people tend to ignore how awful some of later narrative arcs were.

I feel the same about The Sopranos actually although I did enjoy it more and I think it stayed consistently strong as the seasons went on.

Neither enter the discussion for best show of all time for me but it’s a personal taste thing.
Though I can understand the Sopranos fandom following a lot more though.

Also for the record I’ve watched The Wire through entirely twice so I’ve definitely given it a fair attempt to get behind it.

3 Likes

The main plot of season 5 was really rather silly, I’ll definitely give you that.

Still hands down one of the greatest ever shows for me. But like you say, I cba to rehash this with each other, we’ve been here before and just disagree. I’ll credit you for watching it twice, I’d never do that if I largely disliked something the first time round lol.

All I will say is that of all the things we disagree on this might just be the one that offends me most :joy:

While we’re on HBO shows, where do you stand on Boardwalk Empire?

2 Likes

What is your favourite show of all time?

Oz without a shadow of a doubt.

Then I have stuff that I couldn’t put in order that but I absolutely adore. The Shield- which is the only one that might come close.

Banshee- Homelander is a country western sherif in a pulpy, ultra violent story of small town rural America.

Justified,- another western that’s much less gratuitous but held together by Olyphant and Goggin’s electric chemistry and subtle bromance.

Also a special mention to Whedon’s work before he sold out, Firefly, Dollhouse, Buffy/Angel etc, all great early era stuff.

And of course X-Files and Supernatural have a special place in my heart. Really just 90’s and early 00’s is when network TV began to find its footing.

@JakeyBoy hahaha at least you know that The Wire is the best show ever is pretty much the most common sentiment in all of television so I’m certainly an outlier here. Even if I did love it I’m far too much of a contrarian to admit it.

Boardwalk wasn’t for me, I started but didn’t finish it. I’ve heard it’s an amazing slow burn and I should probably revisit it.

1 Like

Yeah, stopped reading when you thought Banshee was better than The Wire, FFS son :roll_eyes:

We can’t all exist on James Bond on ITV brother. Some of us need variety

1 Like

But I feel like this is like when people say their favourite film is Shawshank Redemption. It probably isn’t, they just feel like it’s a good answer.

I haven’t finished either. Thought the acting was fantastic. But the narrative just wasn’t for me. Too slow like you say.

I felt the same about True Detective and The Affair as well. Watched both of those for longer than I probably should have.

Hey, hey, hey, hey.

No need for that :wink:

1 Like

This is massively it in my eyes too, though I genuinely would believe it more about The Shawshank Redemption.

It’s like is it your favourite or do you think it’s one of the best?

Those two answer can be entirely different and it’s ok.

What’s your favourite show outside Friends of course

Both excellent.

TD season 2 had a bit of a lull. The Affair really showcased some incredible acting in the last season. Dominic West is an acting god.

I’m really fond of both True Blood and True Detective.

2 Likes

Unlike lots of other shows, I think it consistently gets better and better as it goes on. Not sure how far you went with it, but I almost dropped it in season 1, which I did at time find a bit hard going, but glad I perservered.

I liked Oz too, a lot, but I think I dropped it in maybe season 4, as I felt it had started to dip. Its a great show, and a fascinating watch for me in terms of it clearly being precursor to those shows, but for me it’s definitely not as good as The Wire or The Sopranos.

Agree with you on Boardwalk @Castiel

Doesn’t withstand the test of time.

And I think people just love The Shawshank Redemption, I dont think anyone is lying when they say its their favourite film lol. Saying it’s your favourite film is a fairly basic opinion, I don’t think anyone says it because they think its an answer that will impress anyone lol

2 Likes