West Ham United

Well for starters they can’t even be bothered to put the names on the shirt. I don’t think it’s particularly inspirational to slap “mom” or “wife” (I mean, what the fuck is that? At least use her first name.) on a shirt and say it’s honoring them as part of International Women’s Day. I do think it’s an issue that women are often reduced to nurturing figures who only serve a purpose to help other people achieve their goals.

It reminds me of this very stupid Billy Eichner skit where he approaches someone on the street and offers them money to “name a woman” and this person is so flustered they can’t do it for like ten seconds.

Again, maybe I should be annoyed at the social media intern who came up with this.

1 Like

I don’t know if the ‘men know best’ thing was directed at me if it was that was uncalled for. You have your right as a woman how you want to feel about this and I won’t take that away from you.

All I can say being inspired by your mother (or wife) or the common nature of the answer isn’t some bad thing as being portrayed. I’ve actually used my mother as an example of inspiration before and it broke her to tears that I thought of her that way or that much. I cannot agree with this analysis going on here. Maybe I just have a really strong bond with my mother and that what’s going on.

3 Likes

You don’t refer your mum by her name though. Not referring you wife by name I find unless your talking to friends.
There’s nothing to see here.

2 Likes

Is it though? For most men those are probably the two most relevant women in their life. Why should they have to think any further than that?

2 Likes

I did not say it was a bad thing. Please don’t misrepresent what I said.

“little sad”

Who says they can’t? Maybe it’s just that their mum or wife is the most inspiring person to them.

You say that but @Phoebica saw the good in Xhaka before he came good.

Now he’s turned to shit again, I no longer know who to believe.

1 Like

The funny thing is, in this case, it actually concerns the opinion of some men. It’s who they are inspired by, not who you think they should be inspired by.

1 Like

Maybe the point of this is that the woman who has inspired you the most is the one of the actual woman you know in real life.
To be inspired by someone who is a " famous " person over than your nearest and dearest is a little bit disingenuous in my eyes.
Why Serena Williams in particular? It could be any woman in her position.
Choosing your mother or wife isn’t relegated them to any supposed role they are perceived to have.
@Phoebica you’ve liked my posts when as a man I’ve backed how women are perceived by men and I’ve liked yours in return, and it’s because I’ve been brought up by strong women why I have this attitude.
Also having an Irish mother and many "aunt’s " and an Italian grandmother if I said any different they’d skin me alive :grinning:

I’m shocked none of them said Frida Kahlo, Marie Curie or Emmeline Pankhurst. I was sure they would.

3 Likes

This is some proper first world pearl clutching nonsense lol

8 Likes

You might be patting yourself on the back thinking that’s a clever joke (it’s pretty good given your usual standards of posts) but I think it’s a little depressing that they couldn’t come up with anyone outside of their mothers or partners.

Why tho. Why would you care about randomers more than your family

7 Likes

I mean tbh if they were asked about a male it’s likely the dad gets the mention or possibly a coach at a club.
I’m struggling seeing what’s wrong. Could be an age thing no doubt.

4 Likes

Why? It doesn’t make sense that loads of men would somehow be able to draw upon women outside of those around them as being inspirational?

I’m a man. I’m influenced and inspired by the actions of other men. I can’t relate to the exploits of women in the sporting world, the work place or politics because I don’t find anything inspiring or motivational in it.

It’s completely not sad that men would draw to women close to them as a source of inspiration. It’s just normal.

And I also don’t understand why it bothers anyone. If someone’s mum is the woman they want to celebrate on IWD then let them lol.

10 Likes

I mean how many people are influenced by outside influences really.
Some are and that’s what can make a difference in your life and that’s great.
I’ve got footballers and sportsmen I love. Musicians, authors actors I think are brilliant talents but they’ve never inspired me to play football beyond recreational level and just generally enjoy the others.

7 Likes

Better ‘mom’ & ‘dad’ than having players put ‘Andrew Tate’ on their shirts.

2 Likes

Exactly. My politics, social values, diet, a fair amount of my musical and literary interests and probably countless other things that don’t immediately spring to mind are all things that were directly shaped by the way my mum brought me up. If we were talking inspirational men, the same would go for my dad.

Outside of them, there’s nobody who has had even a fraction of the level of influence they have had on my life, so that’d be my answer. I’m not gonna take the time to come up with an answer that’s a straight up lie just to stand out from the crowd, if I’m going to pay tribute to someone for inspiring me on IWD it’d be my mum. I’d feel like she deserves it lol

5 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with it. My point was that if the club is going to do something on International Women’s Day and the only women these guys can identify as either impactful or inspirational are women in the role as mother (either to them or their children) then I think it’s kind of missing the mark.

I’m not saying you should care more about a famous or historical figure than your own mom, that’s not my point. What I think it does do, is flatten out the way that men see women. It’s International Women’s Day and they’re all pointing to one aspect of what only some women do (i.e.: raise a child).

And like I’ve said, maybe it’s a function of the question. Maybe they could have asked for a woman they admire in football or just admire in athletics.

And it’s not an age thing, I don’t think. Jake, SRCJJ and I are all around the same age.

And for what it’s worth I asked Mere what she thought about the whole thing and she thinks I’m dead wrong and absolutely ridiculous for thinking it’s an issue. Then again, she married me so her judgement may not be that great.