We didn’t finish top 4 (2021/22)

If we can’t beat Newcastle and Everton to get CL, than maybe we don’t deserve it. Arteta has to get these boys heads right for these next two games. Wipe this game from the memory and go again.

3 Likes

i think it is safe to stop wondering…

1 Like

We chose the lack of squad depth and small squad @Kroenkeoutplease, so I really don’t want to hear it as excuse if it costs us CL football.

It was all by design.

3 Likes

Surely there’s a rule for banning trolls, right?

2 Likes

I am not so confident anymore @Sol. Our form suggests we’ll struggle in our last two games like we have in our previous games, even though we have got the wins. Then there is our appalling disciplinary record, and our propensity to compound a bad mistake by making a few more.

I am not saying we can’t win the last 2 games cause this team has shown it’s capable of pulling of results when no one expects, even if the performances are no where near convincing but I was hoping for a strong finish to the season and I don’t see that happening.

I guess in the end, all that matters is if we get there, not how we got there.

Everything is still in our hands. No need to make Newcastle look like fucking prime Fergie United team, as some make it sound. They’re still only a good midtable team in great form in the second half of the season. We’re still favourites there.

Cheaply lost match last night… Just watched the highlights. We basically threw it to Spurs with a few mistakes. I guess inexperience showed last night (although I can’t say Holding and Cedric are that inexperienced :pires2: ). Disappointed but still no need to cry.

This! :+1:

1 Like

We still get it.

6 out of 6

I’ve got no problem finishing fifth but getting beaten to a top four place by spurs with Conte, who’s only just started the job and who should be managing us, is unacceptable.

Everyone quite rightly ridicules them for being “spursy,” but what does that make us, if we fail yet again to finish above them?

2 Likes

We should win our last two. Spurs probably will as well, but Burnley have Premier League survival on the line. Hoping they can go to Spurs and do what we couldn’t. If not, then they can fuck off to the Championship and stay there.

Success or failure of a season will be defined by these last 2 games…… the pressure is on, we don’t a season of Thursday night shitters before ultimately losing in a SF to someone next campaign.

2 Likes

Just please win the next 2 games.

5 Likes

Spot on. We’d rather go out in the group stages on Tue/Wed. :arteta2:

Was a truly awful result last night.

Why is it that Arsenal always seem to implode right when it matters the most? We must have the highest ratio of red cards in big games compared to anybody else.

Destroys any possibility of level-headed analysis because the game is absolutely skewed from that point on. 2 soft calls against us. Son elbows Holding in the head which gets ignored as well. Why?

Anyway, if we were told at the beginning of the season that we just need to win our last 2 games of the season to guarantee CL football, 95% of the forum wouldn’t have believed it, but basically all of us would have snapped your hand off.

That’s what it comes down to. Newcastle away is the big one. If we stumble there then it is over.

Have to ignore what Spurs do. They will probably be 2 points ahead of us come Sunday evening. But our job remains the same. All in our hands.

5 Likes

I agree, although because it’s spurs who have just beaten us and it’s them who could overtake us for a CL place, it takes the edge off it.

But also, if supporters were told Arteta would spend record amounts and three seasons later we’d be struggling against spurs for a top four place, I’m not sure what the reaction would have been.

If we don’t get fourth place it will prove that Conte is the far superior manager and we made a mistake getting Arteta rather than him.

3 Likes

Don’t think there is any question that Conte is a far superior manager. Arteta has done nothing when compared to him.

1 Like

If Gabriel didn’t get hurt, I’d feel a lot more confident.

No Gabriel means a Nuno-Tomiyasu-White-Cedric back line. Two terrible FBs, one CB who doesn’t usually play there, one CB returning from injury.

Hard to see a clean sheet so we’ll have to score at least twice against a team that has been pretty good defensively since Howe took over, a few pastings aside.

If we can find a way to win at Newcastle, however, I really do think our home fans plus Everton likely being home will carry us in the last match.

When was the last time we actually kept a clean sheet ? Aston Villa in March ? Lol

2 Likes

Yeah it’s been horrific. Tierney’s injury completely destabilized the defense and then without Partey we can’t really control matches in the same way at all.

Looking at the fixtures, in our 14 league matches prior to that international break we kept 7 clean sheets and conceded only 10 total. Since then we’ve had 8 matches without a clean sheet and conceded 14. Jesus that’s a turn for the worse.

3 Likes

And we had Leno in goal then

just saying

It’ll be immensely disappointing if we don’t get fourth but no way I can call something like 70 points and 5th, while playing our best stuff in like five years when healthy, a failure of a season given where this club has been recently.