We didn’t finish top 4 (2021/22)

That really didn’t answer my question and Shaqiri performed well his whole time at Stoke and was arguably always playing well below his level there. You suggested we/others are going to be facing players who, even though they are relegated, will be highly motivated to try play their way into a move to another Prem team. I don’t believe that to be true for a number of reasons, chief among them 26 years of evidence to the contrary.

No guarantees, but we are in good position… reality is we can drop points and one or more of those teams can go on a run, even if they slip up against the other top 6 contenders… it is just too close.

I voted 4th, just because of all that, but I would be more surprised by 5th than 3rd at this stage, which is more than I could have imagined at the start of the campaign, especially given how Pool and City have performed, and how Spurs sprinted way ahead… I think while people may think this is a “down” year, I’m not really sure that is true mathematically… and for sure, 1 and 2 will have higher than average points.

And 3 and 4 will be close to average for last 5/10 years… generally one or two teams will be a bit down and one or two will be up… lately Pool and Spurs are in a period of relative ascendancy and Chelsea and ManU a bit down.

You have no evidence to the contrary only your view. You ask for a player and I gave you one which you now say he played at a high standard all through his career. The point I’m making is perfectly feasible even if you don’t agree. Players facing relegation out of the Prem with their teams would want to play at a level to their ability in case they attract attention from other managers in teams continuing in the Prem next season. That level may not attract other Prem teams but it doesn’t mean they are not try harder imo.

I think you’re right.
Certainly players from the more established PL sides that are in the relegation places are going to have players that are too good for the Championship.
Those players are going to want to put themselves in the shop window, so playing to your best potential, even if you are in a team that could be relegated, is the best way to do it.

1 Like

My thoughts as well

1 Like

Players immediate futures aren’t based on the last 3-4 games of a season relegated or not. And relegated teams typically play worse. I mean the players will have lost their PL survival bonus for one thing and that will see their effort drop.

Yes that’s a fair point. The last remaining games will tell which players put in the effort…some will I’m sure

I really don’t know if I should vote 4th or 5th at this stage, I think spurs will finish above us but we’ll come above Chelsea. I think us and United will be the real toss of the coin.

1 Like

United loses to Wolves…oh Yes!!

1 Like

Getting Top 4 it’s in our hands now, and that’s fucking terrifying.

It’s us to lose now. C’mon!

We shouldn’t really be gloating about manure losing to wolves we still have to play them.

2 Likes

Wolves have some decent players honestly. Not a bad team and at their place can be very tough.

Wolves could easily beat us lol

1 Like

I don’t want to jinx it but I’m pretty confident right now…

1 Like

Yep - can’t sleep on anyone in this league. Don’t show up and you will be punished. We are in good position, but LONG way to go. Still think we need at least 15-17 points for top 4.

4 Likes

I will say one thing… I actually give a f*ck and wake up nervous when we play these days again… that last couple of years with Weng was absolute tragic purgatory and the joy was completely sucked out… I am passionate, pissed off, joyous again! Long may it continue!

12 Likes

I think 76 points might be the magic number for us to secure a top 4 place.

Exactly. Feeling them butterflies in your stomach right before every match is a great feeling and should not be neglected. Up the Unai !

2 Likes

We’re almost certainly going to lose to Wolves. It’s Everton and Watford that I’d be upset about.