Video technology (VAR) in football

4 Likes

Thanks fuck. Sort out these common-sense calls before it gets out of hand.
Sticking to the limited rules as an absolute will create more ridiculous calls, which wasn’t VAR’s purpose.

A bit farcical for Moyes to speak out against the standard of refereeing and it maybe triggers an investigation.

Wenger does that and he’s probably asked to explain his comments.

1 Like

I think we just have a mediocre roster of officials in this country. Where they are rarely held accountable for their poor decision making.

2 Likes

This

6 Likes

My feeling on VAR is that it needs to be used a lot less.

This business where every goal and major event is reviewed as a matter of course (which is what I think the current rule is, even if it doesn’t get presented to the crowd/viewers as a VAR review) needs to stop.

If there’s been a massive fuck up (the “clear and obvious” rule that doesn’t get followed) then yes, call it back but the review should be done by the official on the pitch, not someone in a room miles away.

And offside needs an overhaul, measuring pixels is farcical. Only decisions that can be made with the naked eye should get overturned, and benefit of the doubt should go to attackers.

3 Likes

Why?

Because at the moment officials are being told what decision to make and many refs would do that whatever their own decision would be. Only very experienced refs have gone against the VAR room so far, and that lacks transparency and accountability for how decisions are made.

I don’t understand why do we need to make the on field ref the main celebrity.
You can have an experienced ref as VAR as well.

I am exposed to third umpire in Cricket and they make the final decision and there has never been an ego issue between umpires.

The problem with VAR is the debatable nature of it now. You could give a ref or lino the benefit of the doubt making the wrong call in a split second or not seeing something. But calls still being shit when reviewed from many angles makes it worse.

Personally I still think it’s better now for offsides at least. We used to get calls where players were incorrectly flagged on/offside by big margins. When those went against you it was really infuriating and you really felt robbed but now that doesn’t happen at all. I think the problems it was meant to solve it has solved, but it’s also added a bunch of separate problems.

I know other sports have mic’d up refs. I can see why that might not be liked by refs when they’re dealing with players, but I think it would be useful to at least hear the conversation between the ref and the VAR when something is getting overturned. At the end of the day the VAR is meant to be an alternative voice correcting human error from a ref. It also takes far too long, there’s no reason for that to be the case.

2 Likes

Nobody here will be surprised to see “JohnnyNic” with another terrible take for his article lol

Why is he comparing VAR to Brexit I’ll never know

The answer should never be the removal of VAR.

Despite the time taken & granular analysis of lines, football is no longer crying about goals given for blatant offside or goals ruled out for terrible offside calls.
We have vastly improved the experience of the offside rule.

Even the penalty calls are improved with an option to revisit a call - For instance Vardy’s dive against Ramsdale.

It needs to perhaps step back on deciding fouls to the leadup of a goal. They need to redefine the rules to make it easy or justifiable for the refs

1 Like

Yeah, I think there just needs to be less VAR involvement. And it certainly shouldn’t be taking 4 and a half minutes to determine an offside.

They just need to strip it back and let it be there for what they said it would be there for - “clear and obvious mistakes.” If a call is debatable or whatever then just leave it alone. At the moment it’s finding reasons to disallow goals when no one has even appealed! It’s ridiculous.

2 Likes

I think there ought to be some scope for “challenges”.

For example, VAR only checks offsides and fouls in the build-up to a goal. What if the offside or foul wasn’t picked up by a linesman/ref originally but leads to a corner? Or a dangerously positioned FK? The opposing team ought to be able to say “check that out, it’s contentious”

I really dislike the idea of challenges. Managers have never had a say in how the game gets reffed (Fergie aside of course) and it’s not something I think makes much sense to provide scope for. Why would a manager not just challenge every goal in the hope something can be found “wrong” in the build up or a couple of moves back. It isn’t tennis where you’re dealing with fact of outside the line or not and it’s just providing for more subjectivity.

I still doubt that if Tierney had watched a full speed replay within 30 seconds of our goal yesterday he’d have made a different decision. Show it on the big screen right after, ref can take a look and make his own call on if anything needs changing. Pens and the likes maybe need a bit more nuance than that.

You’d have to structure it so that managers only get one per match or two per match. All goals get reviewed anyway.

1 Like

Yea sounds terrible. They should stop reviewing all goals.

Odegaard did commit a foul there so VAR is correct.
My issue with that call is it sets a precedent.
Odegaard’s foul was 4th action prior to the goal (foul, Saka’s pass, Martinelli’s onside run, Martinelli evading the challenge with a shrug, the goal)

That’s not a lot so the call is fair.

But how far are they willing to go back? What if there was a foul 20 passes prior to the goal?
Will they rescind the goal?

1 Like

Like I mentioned yesterday, in both rugby and league they set a limit on phases of play they can go back. In rugby its something like 2 and in league it is 2 “tackles”. It’s a bit harder with football due to the fluid nature of the game and the way possession can be had or lost.

1 Like

They really do need to define some limit (be it time, passes or actions) because the way it is setup, there will always be some fault in the goals scored.