Unpopular football opinions

I don’t miss football at all

7 Likes

Yeah same. I think it’s because we’ve been so dog shit for so long I just don’t miss watching us.

5 Likes

I don’t miss Arsenal in particular, I found watching us a bit of a chore sometimes. But I definitely miss football (and sport) in general. Yes, this thing is bigger and more important than football, but you can acknowledge that, yet still mourn live sport.

8 Likes

Tbf I still don’t miss football at all.
In recent years just been watching it mostly out of a habit, but very very rarely enjoyed it. This break, not just from football, did a lot good for me.
I’m still waiting for the moment I’ll start to miss fooball but I can’t see it anywhere on the horizon yet :pepe2:

6 Likes

Once the personal incentive(Arsenal) to watch football is gone, I have no serious desire to go watch other clubs unless the stakes are high or if I wanna watch Messi or someone mercurial.
That said if Euros were on, I would have watched few matches for sure.

There is enough content out there in Netflix, Prime etc. now to keep you away from Football.

2 Likes

Yeah due to child production I’ve missed most of this season. Every game I did watch had very little enjoyment. Catching up on extended highlights too is a bit of a chore.

It’s very easy for me to live without football now, although I was looking forward to the conclusion of this year’s CL.

2 Likes

This was definitely key. Coming home on a Saturday evening to catch the highlights of us scraping a draw to Crystal Palace on our own ground pretty much takes will power to oblige lol.

1 Like

For me it was the FA Cup. It had our name on it this season :pensive:

Well I miss football a lot. I watched it every weekend. Our game, Saturday night football, Super Sunday and MNF.

I loved Sundays for the sole fact of Super Sunday. Two games back to back. Then MNF was the best one of the weekend with all the in depth analysis and chat. 7pm to 11pm your whole night filled with football. Was absolute class.

I’ve had to go back to the PS4 and buy Netflix to fill the massive whole in my life now. :frowning_face: :disappointed:

Cesc Fabregas breakthrough at Arsenal was a blessing…and a curse, eventually, since his rise to the top led to Wenger changing his ways for the worse (tactically).

We’ll never know but what happens if we sign Carrick and pair him with Diaby as our midfield pair for the future…

I would completely change how European qualification works in England.

4 CL places, I’d give them to the top two and the FA Cup winners (not just because Arsenal would apparently be in the CL most years).

The fourth I’d do playoffs for, 3rd-6th.

Europa League places for the runner up and the winner of a playoff between the losers of the semi finals plus the League Cup winners.

If the Cup winners are also in the top 2 just move the playoffs down a place, 4th-7th and the team in third get an automatic CL place.

If the league Cup winners are already in Europe there’s no need for a playoff between the semi final losers as both could go into the EL.

I’d have thought the TV companies would love it and it would make the run in far more interesting.

@Bl1nk am I right in thinking the Dutch league does playoffs for European places?

4 Likes

Good idea :+1: I would however make it so all members of UEFA get one CL and one EL spot, without qualifications. The big 3 could continue to get 4 spots. This would improve smaller leagues and would only do player development good in other countries.

1 Like

I’ve always advocated for the Fa Cup winner to get a place but I really like the idea of a playoff for the best of the rest. Would totally stop this apathetic garbage football you see towards to end of the season and would give more neutrals something to be invested in. Honestly you see some team like United luck their way into top 4 playing lazy football and being handed everything by the refs. Being rewarded for begin a top club ending up in 3rd or 4th is something that needs to go in the bin.

2 Likes

They get to participate in the Europa league 2 that’s forming in 2 seasons !

Or is it called the Europa Conference league?

The League Cup winners already get a Europa League place. Is their place being downgraded to the new competition?

I believe so, also they will be the only English participants I think

I like the idea of playoffs in terms of spectacle and excitement but saying a 4th place team who’ve got the points in the same fixtures deserved it less than 5th/6th is obviously highly questionable.

I mean anyone can luck out a knockout tournament so even if you argue 4th place lucked out from 5th or 6th, is that luckier than 6th place beating 3rd in a one off game? We just upset City in the cup but if that meant we finished in Europe over them that would feel like such a steal.

Just think despite the excitement factor it’s very harsh on the side that outperformed the competition.

1 Like

True, but that’s equally true in the Championship where the 6th placed team can end up being promoted. That’s part and parcel of our game and I can’t see it being any less acceptable in the Premier league. I believe the Championship seeds it’s playoffs which could easily be done in the PL as well.

1 Like

We are witnessing the lowest level of top talent in world football for two decades here. Messi and CR7 still seen at the top of the tree.
The amount of money in the game and all the world too pick from, its quite poor. Not sure how its fell this low.

2 Likes

I think there’s a lot of talent in the game but there’s fewer expressive players these days larger due to the nature of how teams line up and the obsession with teaching intricate and repetitive patterns of play.

I also think players are quick to take big deals at big clubs at a younger age and sometimes that stunts them being able to develop their personality on the pitch. They’re never allowed to nurture into being the main protagonist at a team and end up being part of the big club structure.

7 Likes