Unpopular football opinions

I’d need Aubameyang to change his name by deed poll to Neil Aubameyang before I could consider that Luke, otherwise it’s just base speculation.

2 Likes

Think it’s time to take two weeks off over Christmas.
Expect a lot of negativity on this but just think life is more hectic now at this time of year.
More traffic on the road than ever and people have shorter time off now. Won’t even go down Public transport issues.

2 Likes

Agreed. Morons on the motorway are having a crash like every day.

Starting to feel like this

4 Likes

Do you mean off work or from watching the football?

Football mainly because everyone has less time off now.

Football should actually be called ‘soccer’, much as we (apart from @BigWeng_4LYFE) might not like it.

‘Soccer’ comes from the word ‘association’, as in association football, as in the sport that’s different from rugby football. ‘Rugby football’ became simply ‘rugby’ over time, while ‘association football’ became ‘asoccer’, ‘soccer’ and finally ‘football’ as it came to dominate the popularity stakes over rugby.

So the Americans just stuck more strictly to the history books when differentiating for their own more popular sport, (gridiron) football. Who knew eh :see_no_evil:

So it’s Arsenal FC. My soccer club :heart:

PS pls change thread title thx

3 Likes

I’ve always called it soccer

1 Like

No.

2 Likes

It’s mostly soccer in Ireland too (outside Dublin especially) as generally when you say football here people think Gaelic Football.

1 Like

Hate that beautiful game tag people put on it.

In the end you’re only lying to yourself Jacob :disappointed:

If other nations want to reserve the term football for sports that predominantly involve using your hands then that’s fine by me, as weird a flex as it is. I rather think the name football best suits this sport and is a perfectly cromulent name.

I’ve heard before that soccer comes from association football, the association part specifically, of course. If I were to choose between the two words, “football” and “association”, my feeling is that its football which is a more apt name for the sport, given that it is quite a descriptive term. The word association, or its shortened version, does nothing to describe the game in such a way. And given that everyone calls Rugby exactly that, it’s a totally redundant distinction to draw between the two sports in this day and age.

8 Likes

Cool story, bro.

I’d have disagreed, but the sport is so shit now that you can go ahead and call it soccer if you like.

1 Like

Yeah I reckon soccer sounds better

4 Likes

Soccer here in Aus also, when we say football we tend to think of Australian Rules.

1 Like

Let’s be honest, most of us are happier with the term that we’re used to, it’s not much more complicated than that. Any arguments each side come up with are just window dressing obscuring that underlying fact lol.

Every professional football club in this country has the letters FC after their name, that should be enough to keep it from being called soccer.

We’ve got enough Americanisms already, I don’t think we need any more,

1 Like

It sounds shit to say as well, let’s go play some footy, let’s play some soccer.

1 Like

You thought I was being serious? :eyes: