Unai Emery

Can’t help but think this guy was sacked WAY too soon

2 Likes

I think he was sacked in time - the players seemed to have given up on him and I doubt that changes with him having more time, not to mention the fans started to hate him too. This kind of damage is pretty irreversible

10 Likes

Sounds more flattering than what it is, doing pretty well but it’s 26 points in 15 games.

5 Likes

For me his mistake was relying on those same failures that are still failing now. I just can’t wrap my head round how such a big club keeps rewarding these guys with long contracts. Or even have faith in them which has been rewarded with utter mediocracy

1 Like

Did he not go 26 unbeaten with us in his first season aswell lol

1 Like

This guy was a legend compared to legohair.

Fucked up some games, but all in all it was actually entertaining to watch and we could get away with 3 points sometimes. Now it is just insta-loss, free bet against Arsenal.

1 Like

22 I think.

1 Like

I don’t think he was the one to take us to some new heights and make us much better compared to Wenger’s last years but I’m pretty sure we would be in a bettee pace now if he stayed.

Sacking him, just as in Wenger’s case, wasn’t a mistake. Hiring Arteta was.

I don’t hold it much against the board, but it was a long shot from the very start. I just hope they realise he’s obviously not the one and wont waste much time and another summer window on a guy who just doesn’t have what it takes.

2 Likes

Backed Emery from the start but he well earned the right to be sacked in the end.

11 Likes

I agree he earned to be sacked. But he was 10 times the manager that Arteta is.

If this was anyone else at the helm he would have been sacked weeks ago. Meanwhile Arteta is still here and making sure we will be at the bottom of the table.

1 Like

He shouldve been sacked after the Europa league final, had no idea how to manage this club or the league. Our top 4 and EL choke was disgusting and our performances were awful. Way too long in this job, we would’ve had a whole summer to hire someone good instead of rushing ljungberg/arteta

Looking back at it, Ljungberg had all the right ideas, if we backed him instead of Arteta, im curious what would’ve happened.

1 Like

I was one of the few that thought that maybe Emery should have been given more time and the opportunity to get some more of his own players but I wasn’t surprised he was sacked.
You’re right, replacing him with Arteta was a catastrophic decision.

Emery had injuries to key players and he was trying to play a system which needed creative wide players, which we clearly didn’t have.
He also had to take over from a manager who had instilled a culture of complacency and there was a complete lack urgency.

At least he had a plan but he was let down by the players and was probably not strong enough to deal with what was thrown at him but eventually he was looking like he had lost the dressing room and had to go.

Although we hadn’t fallen much further, we hadn’t gained anything either and it was the perfect time to get rid of Emery and get a stronger, proven, experienced manager to take us forward but we did the opposite.

1 Like

No, he was sacked in time. He blew two golden opportunities to qualify for the CL and then shit his pants in Baku, not that he was the only one. He asked management for specific players, they responded with totally different players. Then the players downed tools on him the following season.

2 Likes

Knowing what you know now about this squad, how much blame would you give to the players? Surely over 50%?

No doubt. The players fell apart big style, Mustafi had a few stinkers against Palace and Wolves, Xhaka blew the match against BHA. But I do recall Emery’s tactics being pretty strange. He was running scared at that point and playing some weird shit.

3 Likes

The players thing is the only thing I give Arteta on the culture thing.
This runs deep at Arsenal and has done for years. There’s something in the make up of the club that is conducive with the constant repeating of this fall out.

2 Likes

I think it’s tied to poor contracts and player acquisition primarily. It’s too “comfortable” at Arsenal for players and we’ve compounded errors post Wenger

4 Likes

Probably lack of vision and consequences.

Bayern are a fucking meat grinder. Promising young players who don’t quite make it are shipped out. They have a pretty ruthless streak when it comes to recruiting, they have competent people at board level and ex-players in spots where they can leverage that celebrity for good effect.

Contrast that to Arsenal. Basically zero consequences for bad behavior and bad play. Scattershot approach to both recruitment and retention. Players in semi retirement on lots of money. Zero medium to long term vision. Play poorly? Who cares, you’ll probably get picked again. Act like a dumbass? Who cares you’ll probably get picked again. Not getting picked? Who cares, you’re on a lot of money, living in London and getting paid to stay in shape.

2 Likes

Well Emery is on record saying he wanted Monreal, Koscielny and Ramsey to stay for leadership. I laughed at him at the time…maybe he was onto something? Perhaps he had the dressing room sussed out?

3 Likes

Thought Emery supposed to be our Basque God, but end up as a Basque dog.
Well, he did not make it here, but still, a good manager. He proved this before and after Arsenal’s time.

Then we downgrade ourselves further more from a Basque dog to a Basque cock by hiring Arteta.

3 Likes