Unai Emery

Yeah I’m not buying that this is a financial thing. I think Oompa had it right - they are pathetically fearing a ManU reaction and rotating managers - wanting to not “knee-jerk” so much that they are missing the obvious and glaring signals in front of them that “NOW” is absolutely the right time to make a move (or more accurately end of last season).

Add to that the fact that I don’t believe they will replace with permanent hire mid-season and they wait…

It is wrong thing to do imho, but I don’t believe a) it is about money OR b) they don’t think there are serious problems and are highly concerned and even perhaps realize he isn’t going to be our manager next year.

Odds on Emery winning his next 3 matches? At this point I doubt we’ll win any of them.

If he doesn’t beat Southampton at home UEFA should reclaim his badges.

8 Likes

Sounds like the dreaded ‘vote of confidence’.

3 Likes

The EL game is not super important to win perhaps just a draw will be fine to advance if we don’t care about what we draw after that, which maybe we should at our current state I admit lol

The two PL games are against #19 and #20 in the table with a combined fewer points than us bla bla get 6 pts or rito and I presume that everyone will be in on the rito then, OA, board, journos, the Gary Oldman gif, the AFTV clowns, gunnersaurus. Then I could imagine we have to go for some winter shenanigans out of self defence.

After everything. The board firmly believes Unai is the man for the job.

:ozil:

Yeah, this is much more ‘vote of confidence’ like haha

1 Like

He’s a chance of picking up some points in the next 4 vs Southampton, Norwich, Brighton & West Ham.

I do however think he could then go winless in the stretch vs City, Everton ( away), Bournemouth ( away), Chelsea, United, Palace ( away) & Chelsea ( away).

2 Likes

This finance guff is a smokescreen, I don’t think they really wanna pull the trigger at all unless the season looks disastrous.

1 Like

Negative GD after 12 matches for a club of our size is looking disastrous, no idea what planet our board and ownership live on, but it’s certainly out of touch with reality.

15 Likes

They don’t work on GD, they only understand USD

3 Likes

With players like Auba, Laca, Ozil, Pepe, Martinelli, this is really unacceptable.

4 Likes

With Emery organising our defence this is really understandable.

1 Like

:arteta:

3 Likes

aawww bless his cotton socks, he is trying really hard isnt he

Yes nothing inspires white guys more than a brown guy being the hype man

3 Likes

Whatever the statements coming out of the club may be, Emery is under severe pressure. Yes, Raul and Vinai support him for now, right until the time they stop supporting him.

Most of us gave Emery the Leicester game to turn things around. I think they have given him a few more. Whether that is the next three games or until Christmas, you can be sure they have a threshold and once that’s crossed, he loses their support. So while we will have to endure Emery for some time more, it won’t be for much longer I feel.

I think the fact that we are still 6th in the table is working in his favour. However, we are just two points ahead of Newcastle in 13th. So if even a few of the teams below us, all the way to 13th, get a win in their next game and we don’t, we could be proper mid table and that could be what seals Emery’s fate.

3 Likes

I think your analysis is correct and that it’s just time before they act after this proverbial vote of confidence.

Even so it still makes my blood boil when I hear Raul and Vinai saying Emery has their full support rather than announcing a new top class manager.

The conclusion is inevitable and it’s a shame we have to wait until we are well into mid table rather than a mile in points won as we already are from the very top of the table for the right actions to be taken.

1 Like

The club’s statement is expected. There’s already a toxicity around the club and the board cannot be adding to that.

I would also take the statement with a pinch of salt. They wont publicly come out and slate the manager. Arsenal have always done things behind closed doors. We will literally say one thing in the media and do the opposite behind the scenes.

As I mentioned before theres a lot of factors in play here regarding the managers job. The board are accountable as fuck so they will be treading carefully.

2 Likes

For the first time in this Premier League campaign, Emery reverted to the back three that he used for much of last season. Given a back four was one of the few discernible elements of the identity Emery was attempting to implement, this was a move with more than a whiff of desperation to it. Emery resembles a frantic gambler, endlessly pulling the slot machine’s lever, hoping he might eventually land upon a winning combination.

Extract from Gunnerblog’s post today