Unai Emery

Doesn’t sound like the case from what @SRCJJ posted

I think if we get top 4, no matter how we play, Emery will get another year. I wish I am wrong but for that to be the case, the club should already be considering candidates for the head coach position. Maybe they give him till December and then start the process.

For me personally, I don’t think he has what it takes to take us much further than top 4 so no matter what the outcome this season, he should go.

2 Likes

I don’t think what Ornstein says less than ten games into the season will apply after a full season of shit football and fan, and possibly player, discontent.

Ornstein is essentially a mouthpiece for those who run the club, I wouldn’t expect them to be briefing against Emery at this early stage of the season. If they’ve decided to give him at least a second season then I wouldn’t expect them to be as dissatisfied as many fans are just yet, but my gut feeling is that they will feel that way by season end if performances remain as drab, dull and incoherent ad they have been for basically all of his reign so far.

2 Likes

Although I agree with all your saying here there’s nobody apart from Klopp in the rest of the League proved himself as a potential title winning manager.
Technically Pellegrini has but that’s not happening at West Ham.

1 Like

This is the most important aspect of the situation.
When the board replaced Wenger, it wasn’t a rash decision.
They must have known for a while that they wanted someone else and they decided, of all the managers they could have chosen, and being one of the richest clubs in Europe, they thought Emery was the right man to lead us to glory.

It was a lazy decision based on the fact he wasn’t going to demand the sort of massive spending some of the elite managers would have wanted and he had success with PSG.

Let’s hope they have learned that only the best will do and they have a top quality one lined up, when they eventually get a replacement for Emery.

2 Likes

Will believe it when I see it.
Personally, I don’t necessarily see what you see.
It’s a results driven business, so I could definitely see our board justify him getting another season (if he gets CL football that is).

Pretty interesting to speculate what happened to 6 out of 8 candidates that made the shortlist 1.5 years ago but wouldn’t do so anymore.

Also I think Freddie will have a great career. With us hopefully. So much potential and high reward around that guy. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

You actually have Ornie on whatsapp?

Unlike the majority of my OA brothers I’ve enjoyed our performances under Emery when we have had our players fit, last year we performed well against the big teams and showed a lot of energy. It wasn’t until we ran into a string of unfortunate injuries (in typical arsenal fashion) that our season really took a nose dive. We had so many, at one point Xhaka was playing as make shift left back then as a centre back! It’s clear that we just do not have enough players for Emery to tinker with and that has become very apparent to me when you see some of his set ups, you can see what he’s trying to do, he just does not have enough or enough of the correct personnel.

Having said that, and I don’t care how much hate I get for this but I would love it if Poch replaced Emery at the end of the season. The spuds seem to forget that their actually a middle table banter team at best and feel as if they should be challenging city and pool :joy::rofl: as such it seems like a lot of the fans and players have turned on Poch, which could mean he might end up getting the boot, in which case I would love it if he ended up at Arsenal.

I really respect what he has done with the spuds, and has a serious knack for developing youngsters which in our case, would mean we could have a very serious title contending team In the future if he could work his magic on the likes of Tierney, Bellerin, Holding, Leno, Willock, Guendouzi, saka, Nelson and Pepe in the same way he did with Rose, Walker, Alli, Kane and the like.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s absolutely fair enough, it’s very likely this is just wishful thinking on my behalf because I can’t bear the idea of another season of Emery serving up shit haha

2 Likes

The Athletic writers do Q + A’s with the subscribers

2 Likes

That actually makes it more tempting

Although I think Ornie gets told what the club want him to know

2 Likes

While I absolutely love Freddie, am a bit skeptical about giving him the job especially given how Ole is struggling at United. As good as Freddie has been for the U23s and as much has we and a lot of the players seem to like him, he still has no experience at this level.

The last thing I would want is for the fans to turn on him if our performances drop, cause for me, he represents some of the best times I have seen at Arsenal and I would forever want to have those good memories about him. Wouldn’t want anything to ruin that.

Solksjaer actually has some experience as head coach. Three years with the United reserves, in two stints six or seven years in total with Molde as head coach and the stint with Cardiff.

1 Like

Fuck me dead, is there anything the Athletic doesn’t do? And at such a competitive price!

5 Likes

OA Mods to Luca on a madness

7 Likes

You and @shamrockgooner to me after I lose it following another Emery disasterclass this weekend.

5 Likes

Literally

The levels of disdain I’ve for this guy grow with every match.

12 Likes