Unai Emery

How the fuck did we hire this guy?

1 Like

Dunno but it was clearly a completely logical and defensible hire :crazy_face::crazy_face:

@Forever

Jesus Christ I feel depressed after reading 10 minutes of this thread. Yes, I know Emery is not exactly the best manager in the world but I do have cause for optimism. Perhaps I am one of those people where the glass is half full. He is only in his 2nd season give him a bit of a break, if by the end of the season we are worse off and nothing has improved then we can judge him. I would like to give him a bit of time.

How I see it.

Year 1 - Evaluation
Year 2 - Improvement
Year 3 - Success

6 Likes

I agree with this but we do need to see improvement and see signs of it soon.

The away at Watford was just so awful and I haven’t forgiven him for that yet or his persistence at having Xhaka as the heart of his first choice midfield.

His record clearly suggests a good coach lurks within but this isn’t a team that looks like it’s better organised and more able to dominate games than this time a year ago. He’s now got most of his top squad players fit and ready as well as the new signings and returned loanees so no excuses now.

2 Likes

This is where the hitch is, imo

6 Likes

I see a pretty major hitch in Year 1 too haha.

Yeah the big issue is that there hasn’t been any improvement. We’re actually worse than in the final Wenger years and that takes some beating.

He’s got a better squad, there has been sizeable investment and we look disjointed and one dimensional. We play for a 1-0 win at home against Bournemouth, we concede 30 shots at Watford, we fail to beat terrible Spurs at home and an even worse United.

In general, we just look crap and it seems this is pretty much the Emery way.

13 Likes

Whether we achieve CL qualification or not I want him gone.

He is not the answer whatsoever, I’ve seen enough to write him off. There’s no genuine improvement in sight, he has no tangible philosophy built for success and is lacking substance at this level.

He’s out of his depth, difference between him and the likes of OGS is he has the likes of Auba to continually spare his blushes.

6 Likes

Wenger won only 3 away games in final year which takes some beating tbh (or second from last year cant remember)

2 Likes

I think the prem frightens Emery because he doesn’t understand it. He doesn’t know whether to attack or defend when setting up the team and that causes confusion.
He shows no fear on the EL games and we look like we can win it. Imo he needs an assistant with prem experience in the same way Pep did with Arteta.

1 Like

Pep is not smashing PL records because of Arteta, I can promise you that lol

10 Likes

It would be more apt to say he doesn’t know how to attack or defend.

The midfield debacle is what’s really telling on his style here.
Even with his liking for DM were not even sure and steady or even boring.
We just look a disjointed and dysfunctional mess. I’m not sure how he’s managing it with this amount of talent.
Without coming across anti foreigner here as @Bob says he doesn’t look like he can handle the prem.

I don’t think it’s that he doesn’t get the prem, it’s that he can’t. His style is just anathema to it.

And the prem exposes that style even more than say, Serie A would. But football has evolved past this ‘have everybody back with no plan otherwise’ style.

Even Keown was roasting these tactics on MOTD last night. (He asked why the defence was so deep :arteta:) But he was blaming the individuals as opposed to Emery’s tactics :xhaka:

I am happy to have a clean sheet, but getting only one goal is insufficient.

What I don’t get, is for somebody who interviewed for the vacant managers job and made some sort of impressive presentation on our strengths, key players and philosophy is how the fuck he hasn’t a fucking clue what’s going on around him. He billed himself as this impressive tactician but literally hasn’t a fucking idea.

5 Likes

Nor did Ivan apparently…

Yes agreed but Pep started slow in his winning ways and ask yourself why has he got Arteta at all?

Doesn’t know HOW to attack or defend ! common I’m no Emery fan but he doesn’t ask all the players to play in the middle… including the goalkeeper.