Unai Emery

We’re 3rd and a point behind the champions but it’s only 8 games in. Means nothing at this point.

1 Like

This is so similar to last season’s ‘undefeated’ run. We’re one bad result away from driving our way out of the Top 6 in a classic Arsenal fashion.

2 Likes

Which when push comes to shove is likely to happen.

Last season we threw away top 4, we could have had it easily if we didn’t monumentally fuck it up at the end of the season.

He doesn’t try for that 2 goal cushion does he? Get a goal, and sit back and back off the opposition while not even parking the bus. We constantly ride our luck due to his negative tactics. This is a home game against Bournmouth and it feels lucky that we got a 1-0.

This should be a home game we enjoy our teams attacking riches, instead it’s like an away game against a top 6 rival where we’re trying to nick something

3 Likes

Goal difference of + 2 eight games in explains better of how we’re going than saying we are 3rd does.

4 Likes

Screenshot_20191006-162457_Chrome

20 Likes

looks to me like a manager who knows probably this is his last chance at a big job and knows getting top 4 is must, after last seasons debacle at the end. He’s going to make sure he wins and draws games no matter what. Even if he doesn’t play great football.

But what kind of job does it get him when he is booted out of Arsenal. You’d think his best shot of staying here or getting another big job is to make UCL by playing good football. This continuous small dicking is going to land him back at a midtable side in Spain…where he belongs.

1 Like

I don’t see how this results based football gets us any further than top 4, even then based on last seasons collapse and the current season we’re getting a lot of help in achieving said ‘results’.

Is Emery really happy with what he’s seeing out there? The football is fucking dreadful.

1 Like

We are third and most of the other top teams around us, apart from Liverpool, haven’t been in great form either.
Although the performance against Bournemouth wasn’t great, we got the win and, if they had have won, they would have gone fourth because they are a decent team, so we aren’t in a bad position.

To be fair to Emery, he hasn’t had the two FB’s he needs to give him the width and attack down the wings he wants and he has had the worst group of CB’s we have seen at the club.

When Lacazette, Bellerin and Tierney are all fit, and maybe Pepe starts showing he is worth the record fee we paid for him, then we might see the sort of performances that match the results but he does at least deserve a few matches with these players to see if he can turn it round.

2 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes
18 Likes

He probably is. He’s shown himself to be an inherently conservative coach. He was pleased as punch we got a point away at United with a lifeless performance. I can’t imagine the players are enjoying farting around in his systemless void.

2 Likes

Clearly managing the squad to get CL and a gulp extension. Expect more ultra-conservative and dire football. Second goal would have killed the game off, but alas, pretty crap 2nd half.

1 Like

As much as I have defended him, that is one of the most annoying things he does.
Going to the worst Man U side, most of us have seen and playing for a draw.
Clubs like Wolves, Norwich and Newcastle have proved that if you have a go at the top teams it’s possible to win.

If he didn’t play so conservatively he could, and should have beaten both Man U and spurs and we’d be in second place.

1 Like

Still a very average manager. Hopefully he gets us top four and we can bin him for someone with some vision

3 Likes

Based on the performance today it looks like we are punching above our weight in some ways in terms of our league position. Bournemouth were clearly the better team in the second half and could have easily got something out of the game if not for some valiant (almost last ditch) defending by some of our defenders at times. Maybe with all the money flying around now it’s hard to have an easy fixture - certainly I thing Guardiola would be saying that after another reverse today.

Even so, it feels like we have a talented bunch of players punching a little below their weight right now. I hope Dick gets it sorted soon. He was lucky to keep his job after the Wankford performance a few weeks back and he’s only just doing enough right now to continue given the squad he’s got at his disposal presently.

There’s so much implosion going on in this League right now that Emery getting away with a lot.
Been lucky since he’s been here but the journalist don’t ever seem to take him to task. Partly down to his English for me but it’s a mystery how he gets a free passage with them to me.

2 Likes

Leaving the agenda aside for a second (to an extent), this is hilarious :arteta:

Emery would a be a great youtube comp maker. Bad Romance by Lady Gaga :giroud2:

4 Likes

I think the last time Liverpool won their first 8 league games was in 1990/91

We hunted them down and they cracked under pressure

We just need Dick to go and get his Graham brain transplant and transform this team into a highly cohesive and organised defensive unit while using it’s attacking talent to win lots of 1-0 away victories while maintaining our home form. Sok could become our new Tony Adams and we can feed him on carrots that we throw on the pitch while he steers our defence to being the best in the league.

Then hey presto Bob is your fathers brother and we have a Dick Emery statue made to commemorate our revival as a football super power.

3 Likes