Unai Emery

Really hope he learned a serious amount from the FA Cup fixture.

The way we played into Uniteds hands in that game made Emery looked like a total amateur tbh. Not that Wenger did any different.

Will be a hell of a task to not only fix those gaping tactical flaws but also to outline an approach where we can catch United out instead.

PSG only really did it through severe pressure with immensely talented ballers all over and crazy pace too.

2 Likes

Emery > Pep & Klopp according to fans down under.

That’s not what candidate means :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I exaggerated, but the fact people think he’s in the mix :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:

Wonder if they thought Wenger was in the mix when he got 75 points and won the cup with a similar standard squad in 16/17 :thinking:.

1 Like

“fans down under” = 15 people

:thinking:

4 Likes

New manager, new league, new tactical style after 23 years and he gets us the 4th spot at first attemp.

WTF should he do more?

I’m not saying he’s done a bad job if he gets us 4th place, what I’m saying is he’s not in manager of the year contention.

Arsenal fans acting like a club like Everton, thinking their manager should be in the conversation for manager of the year because he has us competing for top 4 :rofl::rofl:.

2 Likes

I think you said we were not going to finish or fight for the 4th place at the start of the season :thinking:

I said we’d be closer to 4th place points wise than last season but still ultimately end up finishing 6th, which is still every chance of still being the case tbh.

Chelsea win their game in hand at home to Brighton I think that has us 6th if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

You can always cherry pick these things and find some fans who will think like this, but most of us don’t so it’s disingenuous to paint our fanbase with comments like this.

Obviously there are two managers in the running for it this year who are at the peak of their projects with their clubs; he’s in his first season with us and we have a long ways to go still.

6 Likes

Normally you have 4 or 5 contenders for this kind of thing.

Why is it so ridiculous to think a manager who gets 4th with a team everyone thought would be 6th could be one of those 5?

6 Likes

You have to compare what Emery, Pep and Klopp has at their disposal and see who is doing better. It’s easy to see.

4 contenders for the sake of it ? Let’s be real there is only 2 contenders ( or should be ) for this award and it probably depends on who wins the league as to who gets it.

Yeah Klopp, 90 + points with the Liverpool squad.

With a better squad than ours. We are fighting for the 4th spot with Mustafi, Xhaka and Iwobi.

Liverpool’s squad is achieving overs points wise when you think about it logically.

Our squad has just reverted back to the norm of mid 70s apart from Wenger’s disastrous final season when we achieved unders as to what’s expected.

2 Likes

Everyone was underestimating this squad.

1 Like

This is how all awards work. You acknowledge the efforts of a shortlist before picking a winner.

Manager of the year is completely subjective anyway, because no two managers at no two clubs are dealing with the same set of circumstances.

You can’t compare what Guardiola, Santo and Benitez are doing.

C’mon! No one expected it in his first season, tbh.

You are aware that if Chelsea win their game in hand we are 6th :wink:?

1 Like