Unai Emery

Who cares about being proven right? I’ve seen us ballin quite a lot of times only to create 20+ chances and not score. I saw defend our ass off only to concede a ridiculous goal and lose.
People forget easily, that’s all. In hindsight everybody looks at the result.

1 Like

Like everyone will look in hindsight and judge the season on CL qualification, if we get it Emery gets a tick for the season, if we don’t it’ll be a fail.

3 Likes

Ramsey was already gone… Ozil is the super odd one, but we don’t know enough about the full story and certainly there has been times where Ozil hasn’t shown up, so I kind of give some leeway there… lots of things to potentially be critical of Emery about (including Ozil), but Ramsey isn’t one of them.

You can only set up your team to succeed, and that was job done today for sure… a ref’s blown call plus a Moose moment are what separate us from 3 points today… and it was a game we were at least even against a top 3 side right now - at their place. Let’s keep perspective people.

4 Likes

I do believe that helped Ramsey’s decision though. I’m sure he would’ve signed with Wenger there for example or some other manager who could keep him satisfied.
My biggest bother with Emery that started early in the season was how he couldn’t fit our best players in. What made it worse was how our best players haven’t seen much time this season. God knows where we would’ve been if we upgraded last year’s XI with the inclusion of Papa, Torreira and Leno.
Again, I don’t judge his tactics. Just his player picks at times infuriate me. If he wants to make that final step and become a top, top manager then needs to find ways to incorporate his best players in the team.

2 Likes

I think you’re flat wrong about Ramsey but that is your right to opinion. He was after big payday and took the risk to wait out end of contract - fair play to him for that and there is no way in hell we would have come anywhere close to the contract he got, nor should we have.

1 Like

Could’ve signed before he got that offer though. :wink:
Wenger recently said they were close to re-sign before he left. Ramsey was probably waiting to see where he stands with the new coach. First, he wasn’t named first/second captain. He then was moved up into a CAM role early on but Emery just gave up on him as he couldn’t fit him in his plans.
Obviously we can’t know for sure but it’s also a theory, like yours, which both are fairly plausible.

Lol

“was probably” is a massive stretch to me… once he got to final year he had all the leverage… it was calamitous (one of many) mistake in contract management that predates Emery… putting that on Emery is totally unfair.

1 Like

i am sorry but ramsey is done for us before all of this contract shit. Why is everyone complaining about this…i mean how many times have we complained about him and wanted better but now he is actually gone people are bitching and moaning about it like he would have been our saviour gimme a fucking break talk about being myopic.

1 Like

No dude. It’s a theory with logical assumptions. We can’t just call everyone a money grabber. Maybe he is, maybe he is not. That’s why I said we don’t know but we certainly didn’t help the situation.

Never wanted Ramsey gone so there’s that. And it wasn’t long gone(back in the summer) when everyone was calling for him to get the armband.

who is everyone? I sure as fuck dont remember that…were you dreaming?

I didn’t want him gone either per se (but for the money he got, no way), but I understood how it unfolded at the end and that he was absolutely not staying when he smelled big money and a chance to play for a champion for the last couple of years.

1 Like

K. I rest my case. You can find the proof if you search for it, although, if you have been part of the fanbase since last year at least it shouldn’t be hard to remember so.

Called for him to have a go with the big boys abroad too once it didn’t seem to work out this season. Many laughed at the guy but he was the sweetest candy in January and he’ll be playing with Ronaldo next year.

Unai has had a good 9 days or so with lineups and performances etc. I think he’s got it right at home to Bate, Southampton and Bournemouth + away to Spurs.

Let’s hope we finish off strong before the international break with the Rennes tie and United at home.

4 Likes

Agreed. I hope it’s him finally getting to know his team and what he can do.

A lot of it is also other defenders coming back too I guess.

1 Like

Said it before, but I have so much more confidence in our upswing with Sokratis and Koscielny at the back.

4 Likes

Sokratis is 30 now, and a CB of his style could potentially have three good seasons left in him, so that’s very promising I think.

If we can keep Kos for another season, get Holding back into shape, try and develop Mavropanos and then hopefully sign another quality CB, we’re absolutely fine.

Oh, and of course we need to lock Mustafi up in a cell and throw away the key.

4 Likes