Unai Emery

Chelsea turnover of Managers despite high spending is surely evidence my statement isn’t too farfetched?

Managers want control and clarity. Most would take less funds if it meant they werent consistely being undermined by the board/excutives

Which one of them told you that? :joy:

Never stated or implied it was fact. Just my opinion

Why don’t they negotiate their terms before they sign up then?

I’d say it is evidence of the trigger happy nature of Abramovich, it’s not like most of the managers have chosen to leave and cited a lack of clarity in their relationship with the executive level of the club.

Combination of factors really.

Alot of managers really lack the stature or reputation to affect policy or make demands at board level. Football in england has been moving to the head coach model where the realm of the manager is limited to the playing squad only.

Mourinho came out recently and basically said he want the relationship between board and himself clearly defined for his next job. So some manager can negotiate greater clarity. Klopp famously did this with LFC

Funny thing is Roman hasn’t even been remotely interested in the club for a while now. Its actually quite a big complaint of Chelsea fans nowadays because hes basically let incompetent executives like Marina Granovskaia run the show which has lead to poor long and short term strategy

Fair enough, trigger happy nature of their executives. Whoever is making the decisions on employment of their managers.

Between Mourinho’s first and second stint they used 8 managers (4 caretakers). I wonder where this stuff about Abramovich not being interested comes from (@sevchenko) . There 2nd big cycle (Hazard, Courtois) has ended or is about to end. So they need to rebuild. I’m not sure this board can just spend 150 million pounds without his approval. Thing is there is just a bigger fish in the pound right now.

Mourinho also complains about a lack of funds all the time. He’s the last person I’d resort to making a case on. He’ll find excuses for his failures everywhere.

In any way of life (or business if you want), ideally you’d want clean communication and clear definition of responsibility. That goes without saying.

I just don’t see the link between the funds and the managers being undermined, decrease one and increase the other. A good manager should be able to impose authority and work with executives, but they won’t be able to print money, so I find it hard to believe most of them will chose to forgo what they need but can’t control or influence by themselves in order to have more of what they can work on and improve.

1 Like

This is what is so annoying about Mourinho.
All he did at Man U was moan that he wasn’t given the funds to go and spend like Man City.
So what was his excuse when he was at the same level as teams like Bournemouth and Everton then?

He, almost single handedly, created the inflation in the transfer market in the PL when he took over at Chelsea and yet with no irony, he criticises Man U for not being able to afford the best players and selling clubs asking too much for the players.

He is either so self obsessed that he can’t see his hypocrisy or he is…no, that’s what it is, he is so self obsessed that he can’t see his hypocrisy.

1 Like

You’re focusing on the wrong aspect of my point tbh. I said a manager would take less money to work with if his power was clearly defined and he had apporiate control.

The focus of this discussion should be executives consistently undermining the manager at Chelsea

And I said a manager can impose his power vie creating relationships with the people inside the club, while they will not be able to print money, hence I find your point hard to believe. In all likelihood most managers will choose the money.

And yet managers keep lining up for that job, which undermines your point quite a bit.

Not really. Chelsea is a top club, and if you’ve made it far enough to be considered for the job you’ll always back yourself to succeed in spite of well known disfunction at board level.

Mourinho and Conte were clearly undermined at various points. I think Sarri was selected has had good backing so my point applies less so

2 Likes

Very interesting thread, some fair points/summarys made

12 Likes

Interesting and fair comments.

Literally ALL of the summer money should be spent on HIGH QUALITY defenders. Fuck everything else

3 Likes

Interesting. Though I think this part is harsh on Palace :laughing:

7 Likes

Yeah, comparing our assortment of vomit to professional footballers like Schlupp and Tomkins. Not cool.

4 Likes

Fair comments about him. He clearly wants to play in a certain play, but crap players and injuries don’t make life easy for him.

Tough time shows a person’s true character and abilities.

We don’t know how “well” he could be done with a stronger/preferred squad, but I do know he is not doing good when things are not going well.

Not a problem solver.